Lion Air flight JT610 crashes into sea after take-off from Jakarta...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pitot static system provide information on the aircraft's indicated airspeed vs ground speed as @BRT stated above. The indicated airspeed is absolutely critical for safe aircraft operation since that speed determines such things as takeoff and takeoff rejection decisions, rotation speed, speeds relating to maximum deployment of flaps and landing gear, as well as approach/landing speeds. That is why modern commercial and military aircraft have redundant pitot/static systems.

How do you forecast or prevent an airline from switching an airplane type out from underneath you during the interval between ticket purchase and actual flight time ?

You cannot. You can only hope for the best.

You cannot. You can only hope for the best.

You should read the most recent edition of Consumer Reports, they condemned the MAX 8 with respect to space and comfort vs the prior version, squeezing in more (smaller) seats and seat spacing, bathrooms too small for average person to actually fit into....and this was Before the Lion Air crash...I'll bet they do an advisory to stay the heck away from the Max 8 if possible!

The pitot static system provide information on the aircraft's indicated airspeed vs ground speed as @BRT stated above. The indicated airspeed is absolutely critical for safe aircraft operation since that speed determines such things as takeoff and takeoff rejection decisions, rotation speed, speeds relating to maximum deployment of flaps and landing gear, as well as approach/landing speeds. That is why modern commercial and military aircraft have redundant pitot/static systems.

Thanks for the clarification. I still think, given the involvement of issues with pitot tubes being responsible for many major air disasters over the years, there's GOT to be a better way!

Thanks for the clarification. I still think, given the involvement of issues with pitot tubes being responsible for many major air disasters over the years, there's GOT to be a better way!
I'm guessing that they would love to have a better way, but it isn't that simple to measure wind speed from a few MPH up to 500 MPH. The only other way I could think of would be a little propeller, and that would have wear/damage issues.

You should read the most recent edition of Consumer Reports, they condemned the MAX 8 with respect to space and comfort vs the prior version, squeezing in more (smaller) seats and seat spacing, bathrooms too small for average person to actually fit into....and this was Before the Lion Air crash...I'll bet they do an advisory to stay the heck away from the Max 8 if possible!

Fit out size - seat pitch bathrooms/galleys etc are all at the whim of the operator and what they specify rather than being design specific

Fit out size - seat pitch bathrooms/galleys etc are all at the whim of the operator and what they specify rather than being design specific
Boeing makes this clear when you tour their factory. The buyer decides the seat spacing and type.

Indonesia Ends Lion Air Victims' Search as Black Box Ping Fades
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-jet-s-cockpit-voice-recorder-is-disappearing

2 weeks have passed since the accident. Apparently the airplane debris sank into muddy bottom. It was pretty lucky for the diver to find the flight data recorder buried under half meter of mud. Now the pings of the cockpit voice recorder is becoming weaker, it'll a lot tougher for the divers to locate it.

One wonders how long a list of other hidden (so far anyway) software/hardware bugs remain, awaiting enough of a body count to accumulate to justify 'fixes', and how long an informed flyer should wait before exposing his/herself/family to a version 1.0 airplane, or to a major revision of an airplane type ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom