UAE East Coast Temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would hazard a guess that probably half of them obtained their certs in Thailand at a zero to hero dive school. Apparently they were all "advanced" divers :shocked:

Nice empty ish boat today, only 5 of us :D

Deep Reef and Inchcape 10 were the sites for today and both did not disappoint

The temperature however was the same as last week 23C, which was a slight relief from the 33C surface with what felt like 99% humidity. By 12 lunchtime when we headed back it was already 42C.

The key find on Deep Reef was of course a seahorse

full.jpg

nearby was a Hypselodoris dolfusi

full

On the ascent back to the surface, there were literally hundreds of Pleurobranchus brockii free swimming in the water column between 10-20m

full

Inch 10 had loads of fish today and the jack were prowling around like wolves diving into the fusiliers but I was geared up for macro, so my photo opportunities lay elsewhere.

Plenty of blennies on this wreck, but mysteriously I found no nudis :(

full

Many boxfish also

full

And coral gobies

full

A great morning out, we were finished by lunchtime, another dive could have been possible, but I know that I would have been perhaps too knackered to safely drive back to Dubai.

Back over to the east coast again on Sunday diving with Kerstin, as it was her birthday, at Sandy Beach.

The plan was to dive Gunther's Wrecks again and really check this site out.

The good news is that we had the boat to ourselves :D

I had originally looked at going with Divers Down but they couldn't guarantee two dives at this site so I contacted Pierre at Sandy Beach and he confirmed the two dives as we were his only customers.

We arrived by 0900 and in the water by 10:00. Usual hot and humid on the surface and 23C at the bottom, but we were prepared.

The dive site is well spread out with several small fishing boats (around 7m long) as well as various structures and debris, hosting a lot of critters including two seahorses that we found on the second dive. Both of us were delighted.

full.jpg

full.jpg

We also found several species of nudis and pretty happy that this is going to be a productive site photographically provided it does not get trashed by divers who can't dive horizontally!

As per my dives two days previous the water column had plenty of swimming Pleurobranchus brockii and we spent around 15 mins at the end of each dive trying to get decent shots. Many were around 5mm and some as large as 15-20mm.

Trying to photograph them in mid water is challenging but eventually we had them landing on our gear etc., so I managed to get some shots of them on my glove at one point.

full

full

Looking forward to returning here fairly soon to be honest

Last weekend we moved back to the east coast to dive Cauliflower Gardens and the Reserve using Palms Dive Centre but out of the Fairmont instead of the Radisson.

On a positive note, the boarding of the boat at the Fairmont is easier due to floating jetties, but the rest is a shambles!

Despite having provided my vehicle registration number beforehand, it still took over 5 minutes for the idiot on the gate to open it (third world power play) to let us in and unload the dive gear and tanks.

The boat looked reasonable enough and had sufficient space to allow 5 of us to kit up etc.,

As we left the breakwater area the swell was noticeable and boat made slow progress and using my GPS we reached the dive site where we deployed a shotline and got ready for the dive.

The waves were around 1m and the tide was coming in.

As I was involved with the navigation and dropping the shot I was last to kit up and get into the water, and this proved to be an issue, not least that I was overheating as it was already 36C.

I decided that I'd better get in the water asap, then I'd ask the boat driver to pass my stages then my camera, but he failed to understand that he needed to get upcurrent from the shot buoy so I could drift down to it, we really needed to be 30m away at least. In the end I had to get into the water and he turned the boat broadside to the waves and I surfaced under the boat, but quickly managed to get out of the way of the engines.

It took another 5 minutes for him to pass my stages and camera as he constantly kept the boat broadside to the waves, total disaster.

In the end Kerstin and I descended and I was very happy to see my shot was very close to some of the cauliflower coral. I was shooting video once more using my TG5 but nothing to write home about. Vis was amazing 10m+ and we came across Saad using his rebreather.

After 20 mins we started our ascent and eventually surfaced with the boat about 30m away. they came to pick us up and the other two divers were back in the boat. Climbing back on however was not brilliant as the ladder was not attached to the boat and the boatman had to hold it in place until I managed to get my weight on it to stop it moving and possibly dropping down to 40m.

As I climbed up the ladder I soon discovered that there was nothing to grab onto and had to use a nearby body to stabilize myself to climb into the boat before taking my twinset off, which was rather exhausting.

All of this was repeated for our second dive later on at another site where I had switched to shooting stills but at 16m depth this proved to be extremely challenging and of the 20 shots I discarded the lot, and to be honest the worst days diving I'd done in a long time.

It seems that there are very few dive centres who have decent boat drivers and they are:

Freestyle
Divers Down
Sandy Beach

Bottom temperature at 41m was 23C

Haven't posted in here for some time, diving has been erratic, caught a cold after a business trip to Saudi and have been traveling frequently reducing my diving opportunities, just plain tired at the end of the week, but I am up to 85 dives for the year, which is already two more than I did last year.

Today we dived Deep Reef and another nearby reef, Ruby Reef. Water temps 22C, my regular dive buddy Kerstin is already in her drysuit, I just about managed in my 5mm, drysuit next week I think.

Some key finds today though, both very rare in these waters.

A massive frogfish, perhaps just slightly smaller than a football (UK football that is)

full.jpg

A bit challenging when using the 60mm lens, but vis was reasonably good.

and this was followed by a pineapple fish

full.jpg

Plenty of sea snakes around too, two great dives with Barracuda and some good banter on the boat and afterwards at lunch before we headed back to Dubai.

full.jpg

Probably one of the best days diving here in weeks if not months.

Welcome back, we missed you. Great pics!

Thanks Burhan, not really been away, just not had time to post, although I frequently lurk in chat and help create chaos there :p

Stunning pics... I really do need a new camera to replace my G15, be compact, have great video and most important be able to WB with one button press (ideally)

We were up North our ave temps were 26 surface and 21/22 below

We had remarkable vis, on one site we had 50m + This was the most spectacular (even for us cynics) havign a family of 4 huge Leopard/honeycomb Rays, playing with us in mid water at 30m - the seriously look like UFO's in the distance - all being 2m across, with eagle rays coming to play too and a squadron of devil rays and huge 'cuda's too. At the end of the dive on the shallow kick back to the dhow we had 4 black tips. Talk about spoilt - but is really is good to see life coming back here after a couple of years of decline

The day before we had an unusually slack current and were able to drop into the Jaws (a channel always un-divable because of current) GT's Big Eye's trevally barracuda's in huge numbers - unfortunately at depth so time limited, but spectacular - from someone not easily impressed

Back into my drysuit last Friday, bottom temps of 22C made it the best choice :D

First dive was a FUBAR as our intent was to dive Ruby Reef, but unfortunately their were at least 6 boats fishing on the surface with lines so that plan was quickly dashed and a quick plan B was arranged, which was nearby New Deep Reef.

My history with New Deep Reef is not good, and it remains that way.

After 30 mins of sand we ascended and moved on to Car Cemetery 2, where we had a plethora of nudis, the largest a 20mm Hypsolodoris kanga

full.jpg

and the smallest less than 5mm what might be a Gymnodoris sp.

full.jpg

As usual Kerstin and I were last to ascend with one of our tech buddies Ernie who was on side mount playing with his scooter.

Apart from the first dive it was good day out and a nice party atmosphere on the boat with the other divers.

Looking forward to the long weekend next week :D

Diving with Barracuda again today on Deep Reef 2 and Ruby Reef.

Water temps were 23/24C

Actually dived on Deep Reef 2 this time and we found a nice seahorse

full.jpg

Vis was pretty good at 28m and probably around 10m

We moved on to Ruby reef but unable to locate the pineapple fish spotted a few weeks ago. however (as usual) just when I hit 50 bar Kerstin found a large frogfish.

This is the second one in two weeks in this area, I found one at Deep Reef a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it's the same one (a long way to walk) but very similar. I'm a bit disappointed that they are not as colourful as the ones in SE Asia though.

full.jpg

A bit difficult to photograph using the 60mm lens but hey that's the way it happens.

A massive shoal of barracuda were around at 20m when I was ascending and visibility dropped drastically by the time I reached the safety stop.

There were a few nudis around too as well as a triangular boxfish, two great dives and reached dive 90 for the year :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom