Best value location for PADI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Koh tao, Thailand is probably the best value for learning that I know of. Elearning these days makes it cheaper and easier with padi you can study at home and then do the dive training.
You can probably do the confined water in salt water instead of a chlorinated pool in koh tao.
Elearning actually more expensive . Elearning cost $185.. Traditional crewpack of text book and DVD video $108. Can study at home with crewpack , actually it is recommended to do so before start of class. Elearning easier on instructor as it can eliminate academic presentations .

Elearning actually more expensive . Elearning cost $185.. Traditional crewpack of text book and DVD video $108. Can study at home with crewpack , actually it is recommended to do so before start of class. Elearning easier on instructor as it can eliminate academic presentations .
Doesn't mean they won't have an additional charge for the classroom portion with book and video. Contact the operator first, understand the price structure, then spend your $$.

Ah, thanks. Does RAID do the same thing?
Yes. The online manual/e-learning thing works similarly across agencies - PADI is actually late to the game here.
RAID generally requires online learning, as their manuals are all-online and continuously updated.

NB: Not to turn this into an agency thread, but keep in mind that while PADI is the most popular, they're one of many. Their accomplishment was turning the image of diving from an extreme sport into something to do on vacation, without taking much time away from other activities, with a focus on keeping the learning process itself entertaining and accessible, and also highly standardized.

Other agencies each have their own philosophy. SSI is like PADI, while tech-rooted agencies like GUE, SDI, RAID, ANDI take a more goal-oriented and individualized approach, laying out a path to what one wants to do. The choice among the latter depends largely on geography, as they're popular in different parts of the world (and there's a few more) - otherwise it's down to the instructor. With the latter you can reliably expect experienced tech divers as instructors, as a baseline, while with PADI/SSI you'd have to seek one out.

To the OP.

If you do decide on KT then my suggestion is Master Divers. Not the cheapest, but I like their attitude to safety. I’ve used them on 4 trips to Thailand, and spent nearly 2 weeks diving with them each time.

I’ve found the bus/ferry just as quick as flying which involved an overnight on Koh Samui.

I would also iterate what others have said. If it’s purely the cost of getting certified you’re worried about, do the course nearer home.

Yes. The online manual/e-learning thing works similarly across agencies - PADI is actually late to the game here.
RAID generally requires online learning, as their manuals are all-online and continuously updated.

NB: Not to turn this into an agency thread, but keep in mind that while PADI is the most popular, they're one of many. Their accomplishment was turning the image of diving from an extreme sport into something to do on vacation, without taking much time away from other activities, with a focus on keeping the learning process itself entertaining and accessible, and also highly standardized.

Other agencies each have their own philosophy. SSI is like PADI, while tech-rooted agencies like GUE, SDI, RAID, ANDI take a more goal-oriented and individualized approach, laying out a path to what one wants to do. The choice among the latter depends largely on geography, as they're popular in different parts of the world (and there's a few more) - otherwise it's down to the instructor. With the latter you can reliably expect experienced tech divers as instructors, as a baseline, while with PADI/SSI you'd have to seek one out.
Very good information. Thanks.

To the OP.

If you do decide on KT then my suggestion is Master Divers. Not the cheapest, but I like their attitude to safety. I’ve used them on 4 trips to Thailand, and spent nearly 2 weeks diving with them each time.

I’ve found the bus/ferry just as quick as flying which involved an overnight on Koh Samui.

I would also iterate what others have said. If it’s purely the cost of getting certified you’re worried about, do the course nearer home.
Good advice. Thanks.

You get the cold water and really crappy viz at the quarries without the difficult entry (depending on quarry!) or current! I had 30ft viz in a quarry last Saturday and I was in heaven! But then our gear froze between dives (25F air temp, probably 5F wind chill, 52F water temp)!
You weren't kidding about liking cold water dives....

Back
Top Bottom