Rehabbing an older wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Through the generosity of a fellow SB-er, I was given an older model Dive Rite Rec wing for my “let’s try doubles” project this winter. It was used in salt water and hadn’t been dived in a while.

I received it today and put it on a tank. Power inflator worked fine, although the metal around the buttons is green. From salt water? I wouldn’t know as I only dive fresh. Inflated it enough to activate OPV, which also worked.

Giver remembered after wing was already in the mail that it was involved in the DR recall due to the metal spring on the OPV possibly failing. He always used a thin coat of silicone grease on the spring. Not sure if it was ever replaced. It was manufactured between 2006 - 2008, I believe. I’m going to email DR to inquire about getting a replacement OPV. Not sure if they’ll give me one, or if I have to go through my shop. Where do I find the serial number? EDIT - found serial number. It falls in recall range.

Other than replacing the power inflator head and the OPV, anything else I need to do? I’m leaving the wing inflated overnight. Aside from being a bit dusty and the inflator head/OPV issues, it looks to be in fairly decent shape. I love free gear (was sent a manifold, too, and I’ve picked up used tank bands cheap)! :wink:

412B88D0-C33D-43EA-BCA2-BFFFBF0C2CEE.jpeg

Sink it. Make sure it’s not leaking from any gaskets (elbow, opv, etc.). Make sure there aren’t any pinch flats or anything. Just leaving in blown up overnight may not show any leaks that may be one visible in water.

Wing did not stay inflated after about 6 hours. Submerged it in the bathtub (inflated pretty full). As I was holding it down, there were a lot of bubbles coming from the mouthpiece of the power inflator. Not sure if that's usual, but then there were bubbles coming out from under where the elbow screws into the wing.

There were no other bubbles coming out of the wing.

How can I tell if it's just the elbow or the flange/bladder that's the issue? Entire inflator assy is about $60 at DGX or should I just take wing into the shop?

service (rebuild) or replace the LPI... Also remove the elbow from the wing and check the gasket (replace?). Threads okay? Clean it up and re-assemble. Check again...

I'd just replace the inflator.

service (rebuild) or replace the LPI... Also remove the elbow from the wing and check the gasket (replace?). Threads okay? Clean it up and re-assemble. Check again...

I'd just replace the inflator.

The entire inflator assy? I assume on a wing this old, it's not a bad idea to just replace the entire thing anyway.

Interestingly enough it's $14 cheaper to buy the inflator, the hose, and the elbow separately on DGX. Cheaper if the hose is fine. I'd just buy the inflator and the elbow and try that first. Chances are the hose is fine. Add 2 zip-ties of whatever flavor you have lying around and drive on. It's worth the cost to just see if it's the assembly. If it's the actual bladder that's another deal.

45-degree Oral Power Inflator
Corrugated Hoses
Dive Rite Plain (Non-Exhaust) Elbow w/Nut

How long do the corrugated hoses generally last? This wing is 10-12 years old.

I have some going on 30 yeas... Haven't replaced one yet except for "want".. Does it show "dry rot" or cracking/crazing?

Just saying: Enjoying this thread and the as usual great help and advice forthcoming... and patiently awaiting until it might be safe again :wink: to dare being on the same dive as @Marie13 ... that and things outside warming up...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom