12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I caught most of the documentary the other day too. One of the divers is a friend of mine from back in the days when I worked in Thailand though I only saw him in the background in a few of the wide shots. I am at DEMA and one of the rescuers, Erik Brown, is speaking at the RAID booth tomorrow. Going to try to catch it.

Screenshot_20181116-213134_DEMA Show.jpg

We met him and very much enjoyed his presentation at Divescapes last month. I hope you get the same opportunity.

If you're a contributor to your local PBS, it's available on streaming.

It's amazing all the different angles they attacked the problem beyond just the diving, like water mitigation.

If you're a contributor to your local PBS, it's available on streaming.

It's amazing all the different angles they attacked the problem beyond just the diving, like water mitigation.
That is one of the things I took from the whole situation and it is one area where the overall commander did an absolutely excellent job. He had a number of teams working on different aspects -water clearance, exploration (above and under ground), logistics, transport etc.

Each of the individual efforts would not have saved the boys. Had the pumping guys not succeeded in their task the divers would never have managed. Had the Thai navy seals not managed to supply the tanks required to the divers that would have failed. If the logistics had failed the rescue wouldn't have happened.

Only by combining the efforts of the different groups was the situation manageable enough to allow the successful rescue.

The PBS Nova series in the US aired a 1 hour episode on the rescue.

You can watch it online at this link: Thai Cave Rescue | NOVA (might be US only)

Very interesting. Uses what appears to be actual GoPro footage from diving during the rescue. Seems the cave divers used sidemount exclusively, which I had expected given the narrowness of some of the passages.

Tried watching it tonight - doesn't appear to be available in Canada :mad:

Divegoose

Just saw it from Italy. Just use a VPN ....

Please explain what a VPN is ?

Thanks !!

Divegoose

GIYF (smile). Virtual Private Network. A way to seem like you're here, when you're really there, in part. Or vice-versa.

Well... we(*) determine your location based on your Internet address.(**) So you need a computer whose IP address is in US, to simply relay all your traffic back to the computer you are actually sitting at.(***) There is an entire industry providing this service for money (but you can get "free trial").(****) They get shut down every once in a while on some legal pretext or other, and two new ones pop up in that place. Google for free VPN and enjoy.

*) There Is No Internet Cabal (TINC)
**) Which were never assigned based on geography, so we have to look it up in a database. Such as GeoIP® Databases & Services: Industry Leading IP Intelligence | MaxMind
***) Or fool us into thinking your actual IP is in US. Most of the time option 1 is easier.
****) And/or for infecting your computer with software that will send out spam, steal your bank account numbers, rape your dog and burn your house down.

HTH,HAND

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom