My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Received wing and manifold today. Manifold looks to be in good shape. Wing dates from mid-2000s. Just needs to be cleaned up a bit.

6DBB2C99-8561-428D-9366-FF5FA734898A.jpeg

Discovered dumbbell squats are easy enough for me and don't hurt. 5lb dumbbell in each hand makes all the difference for proper form. I do 25 every other day. My knees feel great and I can already tell the difference in my quad strength.

I got back in the pool today after 4 months (I've been doing the recumbent bike instead). I did 2000 yards / 1.1 miles in about an hour without issue. Felt fab. Will try to do the pool 1-2 times a week, easier on the weekends.

Lots of core/weight work at home. 10lb dumbbells hurt my shoulders, but no problems with 5lb ones. I do low weight, high rep work (50 reps), and I'm seeing results in my arms.

You go girly!
Don't forget to find some time to dive, winter trip to FL for easy gloveless diving to keep your skills up.

You go girly!
Don't forget to find some time to dive, winter trip to FL for easy gloveless diving to keep your skills up.

You have no freakin’ clue if you’re suggesting I go dive FL.

I will say this just once for your benefit. I do NOT do warm water. Period.

That's up to you, but ice diving is a terrible way to practice.

So how does that rule out Florida in the winter?

Yesterday was the first of the four once a month four hour winter pool sessions. It was at first a very frustrating, then a very enlightening experience.

I was simply doing underwater laps trying to get acclimated after not being in the water for a month. Sh*t was not good. I was rolling 360 degrees with very little leaning to one side. Tank was rocking and rolling, even though STA was tightly bolted to BP (someone else checked the nuts). My harness was coming loose, too, and putting tank way down on my back, much more than normal. I have a Halcyon with the Cinch. I was fighting my gear and there was no way I was getting anything productive done. I was going to get out of the pool when gal instructor overseeing pool session (a DM or instructor required to oversee session for liability/insurance purposes) suggested we switch gear. I ended up with a basic back inflate jacket BC (Oh, the horrors! First one I'd worn in 2 years!) with an AL63.

Holy crikes! Major difference. No buoyancy issues, no fighting a rolling tank, I wasn't rolling. I was able to productively work on frog. This bit of video was the result. It's a start anyway. Hovering also wasn't an issue.

Imgur (frog kick video link)

I found this GUE video on smaller BP for smaller people, and I started wondering.
Took my BP into the bathroom and really looked at how it fits in the mirror. There's a big gap between it and my back. Waist belt always feels like it's on my hips and not on my waist. Halcyon small BP is $225, but I'm biting the bullet. I can always return it if it doesn't fit, but it's worth a try. I'm not in the pool again for another month, so I will play at home with it before it gets wet.

What happened with tank rolling is that one of the bolts from STA weight insert was VERY loose. Bolts are built into weight insert. Bolt was nearly loose from weight insert. I'm removing that and won't be using it again. Cinch is gone from my BP.

Turns out it was a gear issue. I've been probably fighting my gear for who knows how long. That 20 minutes in the instructor's back inflate jacket BC was an quite an enlightening experience.

I hear there's a mounting option that instead of a plate uses webbing that fits your body. Something about the tanks being clipping to the side, snugged up with bungees. I couldn't resist. I know it didn't work out :).

Good luck with a smaller plate, sounds like it makes sense.

I hear there's a mounting option that instead of a plate uses webbing that fits your body. Something about the tanks being clipping to the side, snugged up with bungees. I couldn't resist. I know it didn't work out :).

Good luck with a smaller plate, sounds like it makes sense.

You're baaaaddd! :shakehead::poke::rofl3:

EDIT: a guy friend said I needed to stop changing my gear around. Mind you, this is someone who doesn't have issues with size on anything. I'm not changing configuration, just size.

I really wanted SM to work, but it was just a cluster getting everything on and off. It was lovely when I was in the water.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom