First Liveaboard T & C Explorer 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want any alcohol/snacks in your room, you'll pass a big IGA market on the drive to the marina - they share the mooring with the police boats so it's safe but there's nothing nearby.

IIEC the boat only provided beer/wine.

The boat's been remodeled. It was comfortable before and now it has had an overhaul.

Booze? Full bar, with beer frig on the top deck. No charge - swill as you will.

The IGA? Prices are over-the-top.

Cell Service? All but the remote areas.

Taxi To/From - you pay

Money - they'll earn a good tip - bring cash.

T&C is pricey - last night's dinner is on our own - restaurant on the island.

The boat does swing - but its no big deal.

Food? I thought it was quite good. Everyone seemed to return for a second plate.

The crew? Now, they are really fun. Girl Joe - she's great - and the captain too.

Have fun and take some snaps of the remodel.

pirates on board.png
plenty to drink.jpg
standard dive briefing.jpg
Double D??.jpg

Fantastic boat, amazing crew, nothing at all to complain about. The dive briefings are spot-on. Jo will go through a dozen costumes during the week. Bring something funny to wear during your dives and you might get an award. I was one of 2 divers on the boat who got the Iron Man award, we didn't miss one dive during the week.

They're serious about the 'no diving after drinking' rule. Once you start drinking, you're dry for the night. The night dives are awesome. The hot chocolate and hot towels after the dive make it even better.

The showers in the rooms are small, but I think during the week I only showered twice in the room. The shower on the dive deck is plenty warm post-dive so I ended up showering there post dive twice a day.

Don't wait until right before the dive to analyze your tanks if you're diving nitrox. Half the boat will be waiting for the analyzers. I brought my own, so I never had to wait, but no one splashes until everyone is ready.

Have fun! It's on my list to return one day.

What Hoag said ^^^ - you've misunderstood my post.

The sharks were not fed - they fed on smaller fish attracted by the ships bow lights. I don't believe even the edible garbage was jettisoned - which I have witnessed on another boat.

There was no feeding on that trip. At most sites the sharks seemed pretty oblivious to the divers. Except one spotted nurse shark that followed several of us arond at one mooring.

@diversteve & @Hoag
Yes I misunderstood your post. Apologies!
Probably didn’t help that I read it first thing after reading the Big Brother shark attack thread....

Don't wait until right before the dive to analyze your tanks if you're diving nitrox. Half the boat will be waiting for the analyzers. I brought my own, so I never had to wait, but no one splashes until everyone is ready

Two trips for us.

Splash? Pools open? Drop when you are ready on our trips. The P/SB entries have a 6’ drop - I preferred the stern.

On our trips. Solo? Ok, with cert. They offered the cert to those who were interested.

Dive your own route? No issues. No need to follow the tour. You have five dives a day and need to make the four feeds + snacks - its somewhat self limiting as to times.

Cylinders? AL80/100/40.

Want to hang with the DM? They will give you as much ‘help’ as you need.

Dive with DM required? Nope, just a buddy - sort of.

Nitrox? They fill in place - cool to 207+ bar. Mix ran 30-31. Easy process - they start fill as soon as you plunk your cylinder down. Each station has its own whip. Check, mark and you are good to go. Plenty of time for everyone to check mix during the SIT.

It’s really easy diving. They generally tie off where the boat swings over the drop-off. Plan? Out to the drop-off, turn left or right and drop as deep as you care (within limits pretty much). Return to the top off the drop-off, where the boat is swinging. Spend the rest of your dive below the boat swing or hang on to the trapeze. Often there was ‘stuff’ under the boat. Often big cudas watching you.

Vic K, as others have noted, you made a great choice. That was the first liveaboard for my wife and me too. We liked it so much we did it twice - once on the T&C itinerary and once on the Bahamas itinerary (not sure if they still do that one). It's one of my favorite boats in terms of layout. Very roomy.

Do a search for first liveaboard advice and you'll get some great advice that applies to any liveaboard. Off the top of my head, a couple really helpful tips that we picked up:

1. Bring way less clothing than you think you'll need. You're only wearing stuff an hour or two at a time, so you'll see the same t-shirts on people multiple days. On the other hand, 2-3 swimsuits are nice so you always have a dry one.
2. Invest in some stainless steel clips (industrial strength clothespins) so you can clip your swimsuits to the boat railing and dry them in the sun without them blowing away.

Have fun!
James

Put out everything you need before you pack. Then take out all of the shoes and half -> 3/4 of the clothing. Seriously! You need bathing suits, 3-4 T-shirt’s, coverups (whether T-shirt’s and shorts or actual coverups) and dive gear. It took me about four liveaboards before I stopped overpacking clothes. The first live aboard I think I packed three swimsuits, I can’t stand getting in a wet suit so I was happier with four.

Also, you made a great choice with the T&C EV. I’ve not revisited the same location on a liveaboard but I’m considering going back to T&C with EV next year - they were my favorite.

First thing you do when you get to the boat is put your shoes in a box. You get them back at the end of the trip :)

Don't pack extra shoes! You won't wear them at all on board.

Wow.... love everyone’s replies and such helpful tips about this boat. I almost feel more confident in doing this trip. @drrich2 you have great skills for doing research and writing reviews. But thank you so much to everyone else as well to help a newb on this topic. I really have learnt a lot from everyone.

Wow.... love everyone’s replies and such helpful tips about this boat. I almost feel more confident in doing this trip. @drrich2 you have great skills for doing research and writing reviews. But thank you so much to everyone else as well to help a newb on this topic. I really have learnt a lot from everyone.
You're in really good hands with/on TCEX2. If you're fortunate enough to have "Bunjee Jo" as a DM on your trip, you will have one of the dive trips ever. Jo was one of the lead DMs on all 4 of my trips and her crazy costumes and entertaining dive briefings made everything that much more exciting. Jo is the DM that's in the last 2 pictures in Cert1967's post above. I'm not sure if she is still working on the boat though :(

You're in really good hands with/on TCEX2. If you're fortunate enough to have "Bunjee Jo" as a DM on your trip, you will have one of the dive trips ever. Jo was one of the lead DMs on all 4 of my trips and her crazy costumes and entertaining dive briefings made everything that much more exciting. Jo is the DM that's in the last 2 pictures in Cert1967's post above. I'm not sure if she is still working on the boat though :(
The last I heard, Bungee Jo was still there, but her sister Pippa isn't.

Back
Top Bottom