What log book to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say that I started with the PADI log book but, as I had a DC which I could upload from, I ended up going to Subsurface which is what I use now for all my dives.

Can keep a lot more information (can upload photos/video, geotag locations), see the full profiles (including gas consumption if using AI), use it for dive planning and it is multi platform which means that I can finish my dive and upload it to the cloud and instantly see it on all my devices whether they are android, windows or apple. What I also find useful is the ability when filling out commonly used fields such as buddy, weight, exposure protection etc - they have the ability to auto fill so if I have put in 5mm wetsuit before, as soon as I get to 5mm it gives the option to autocomplete. Makes entering the details for a trip (which could have a dozen or more dives)very easy as I can enter them once, then complete the repeated items within them in about a minute (without having to rewrite everything).

If an operator such as an LDS for a course or boat want to see my experience I can simply open the app on my phone (even without a signal- just make sure the latest dives are synced before you go) and get the dives and profiles up that way. Not had any issues with anyone not accepting it yet.

Almost forgot to say, best bit of all - it is free.

I love my logbooks.
They're my history.
They document some of the most significant moments of my life.
I browse them often, to revisit the places I've dived, the amazing things I've seen, and the good friends I have known.
Admittedly, I probably place more importance on my logbooks than most divers.

So, I keep a traditional paper logbook.
As other responders in this thread, I also design my own pages and have them printed and spiral bound.
Each page logs three dives, and I never order more than one fifty page logbook at a time. That way I can redesign the page layout with each new printing.
My books are always evolving and improving.

My pages contain a lot of data about equipment and weighting.
For each dive I record info that will help me fine tune my weighting for the various set-ups I use, and places I dive.
My logs have been invaluable as reference for that purpose.

I use regular paper, and keep the current logbook in a waterproof pouch.
And yes, I have been asked to show dive staff my logbook. Mostly on liveaboards.
Even if not required, it's still a nice and quiet way to reassure divemasters and captains of my experience level.

That said, I also record all my dives in a computer spreadsheet of my own design.
I can instantly look up data from all my dives, including dive number, location, max depth, duration, dive buddies, special equipment, notes, etc.
It's saved in the cloud so I can access it any time anywhere, on my computers or cell phone.
It's been very useful at times.

K

It really doesn’t matter what or how you log your dives. Ask if there is a log book included in your course material. Fill that up first, it’s ‘free’.

Do log your first 50-100 dives on paper, most course/classes require up to 100 dives (most are less).

If you get a downloadable computer, cool, still log those dives somehow (paper or electronic).

Many electronic logs now are (or can be) cloud based, so you can carry your log book on your smart phone, or travel computer/tablet.

I use a digital log book (subsurface and subsurface mobile on my iThingy) as it can track more things that you may not think of.

_R

Thanks for all of these replies they are really helpful.

I'm most likely just getting a beginner computer in the $300 range and right now I'm leaning towards a Suunto Zoop Novo. To start I'm not really interested in having one that keeps track of air and stuff on the computer as I know that those are a lot more expensive than what I'm looking for. I'd maybe splurge on a computer but the ones I saw with the air tracking were significantly more. I've already spent more on dive stuff than I expected lol. I didn't even need new fins but I bought them too because I like new stuff and those with the booties were like $200. Then I bought a rash guard, and now I am going to buy a wetsuit too. I didn't really expect to buy any of these lol. And I haven't even done my first dive (well after the class - I've dove 2 times prior though).

I am aware that you can get stamps/signatures and stuff like that. Other than it being cool and having it for your own record, does it really mean anything more than that? I guess it can mean that your logs aren't forged, so it's proof that you did dive there, in case you were ever "audited" or something.

EDIT:

I was looking at this log book here because I like how compact it is and it doesn't have a lot of BS stuff on there that I wouldn't be filling out probably.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005P2Z8AU/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&smid=A138GYT3Y3DZXX
If that helps you, you’ll save a lot of money by buying a second hand computer.

I am aware that you can get stamps/signatures and stuff like that. Other than it being cool and having it for your own record, does it really mean anything more than that? I guess it can mean that your logs aren't forged, so it's proof that you did dive there, in case you were ever "audited" or something.
Stamps don't really mean anything like the dive is verified or anything. It's just something people like. I collect them but I have pages in the back of my log that just have stamps & stickers. I don't get individual dives stamped unless I dive with someone who has a personal stamp. I doubt you will ever be audited. If that was a thing I would probably be in trouble because my only signed logs are dives I did with an instructor and dives I have done with students. I like to have all my students sign my log book for training dives we do. I don't think log books get forged that often because it would be a lot of work to do it well. That being said, my unsigned logs were considered acceptable every time I had to show a certain number of dives for training purposes.
Keep a log though but do it for you.

I was looking at this log book here because I like how compact it is and it doesn't have a lot of BS stuff on there that I wouldn't be filling out probably.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005P2Z8AU/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&smid=A138GYT3Y3DZXX
That's a nice little book but a little expensive for me since I would probably go through 4 a year. I just print my own pages and put them in a small 3 ring binder. Probably perfect for someone who does 50 or less dives a year. (That would be most divers)

I didn't start doing a log book until the 80s when I'd already been diving for about 15 years. For me, looking back at the dives is interesting from the standpoint of where I was and what the conditions were like. This I find helpful when planning new dives so I can have some idea of what to expect at different times of the year etc. About the only "technical detail" I'm likely to refer to is how much weight I used with which wet suit. And when you get to be my age it can be amusing to try to remember some of the places you've gone diving o_O

You can also just use Excel and decide what things you want to track (duration, depth, wildlife, etc). I like because I can search for things: "mola" "shark" etc.

You can also just use Excel and decide what things you want to track (duration, depth, wildlife, etc). I like because I can search for things: "mola" "shark" etc.
Subsurface can do that and so much more (also for free) - it has a large notes section

Back
Top Bottom