Sharks and bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Photo Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been told that the exhaust bubbles from a diver frighten sharks. Is this true, or just another urban legend?

In my area they do seem to dislike the bubbles, i believe they dislike the general noise divers make underwater, its strange and unfamiliar to them.

Any Cameras or Dive Computers you have on you may scare them away as well, they emit electrical pulses which the sharks are extremely sensitive too.

Any Cameras or Dive Computers you have on you may scare them away as well, they emit electrical pulses which the sharks are extremely sensitive too.
I have also been told that underwater metal detector signals attract them.

This is a video of a sand tiger that cruised about a foot over my head. He/she took off when my bubbles hit him.

I have also been told that underwater metal detector signals attract them.
I never tried it or seen a diver with a metal detector in the sharky area's here so i wouldn't know, it makes sense when you think about it, the pulses emitted from that thing can either drive them crazy and run away or attract them

I never tried it or seen a diver with a metal detector in the sharky area's here so i wouldn't know, it makes sense when you think about it, the pulses emitted from that thing can either drive them crazy and run away or attract them
I use a metal detector a lot and haven't had it happen to me yet. But several divers I know say it attracts sharks, especially bull sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom