What's in your bag, travel tips & tricks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the reason @Damselfish cited, if you are going with a carry on, I would go with a 19". You may most likely run into issues with a carrier giving you push back on many international flights that are not operated by a US or North American based carrier. This may either lead them to force you to check it or make them want to weigh it just by the looks of it and often times, these same carriers have a 7kg limit *total* for carry on. (I know, that's nothing!) You may be able to get away with it like I do with camera equipment. Honestly, I have a 19" and I have gotten stuck on some commuter flights where the overhead bin can only fit a backpack and no rollerboards. Instead of gate checking it, which is not ideal because it's camera equipment, I was able to shove my 19" underneath the seat in front of me and that in itself made a huge difference.

I know TUMI is really expensive but I like being able to walk into any store at an airport or at a city I'm in to replace the handle or wheels at any time. I can't come to terms with checking these expensive bags in, but when I don't carry photo gear, I have a super lightweight carry on with them that I love. I got it at an outlet but like the peace of mind that if something breaks, I'm not SOL while overseas. They are usually at most major airports.

As for check in bag....I go big there like the @The Chairman but try to keep it under 23kg if I can. Overage and excess bag fees for many North American carriers are expensive ($150 USD!)..not so bad with many Asian carriers where you can prepay for a reasonable amount.

We have a whole wardrobe of luggage!

Cameras are a whole ‘nother matter. Some airlines actually don’t want you to check them (or laptops, electronics) and will cut you lots slack on those. Sometimes hard to figure out what the rules are, or what they will do in practice any given day.

Anyone have a suggestion on good active noise reducing in-ear phones? (Bluetooth, not just passive NR, and not over-ear headphones.) My husband actually won a set of Bose QuietComforts long ago, but they were bulky and neither of us ever wanted to carry them so I sold them. I had some folding Sennheiser ones that were more compact and pretty good until they stopped working, but they hurt my ears after awhile. I tried some of the best reviewed active NR earphones some years ago but the noise reduction was lousy. The Bose QuietControl 30 would seem to be an obvious choice now, but for the price they seem to have not so great reviews. I see a few similar looking ones out there now, most all have the neckband thing, which looks like it may be a nuisance, but probably also a necessary evil. Anyone have something they really like?

@Damselfish If in a sudden plot twist you decide to go back to exploring the over ear headphones in the future, I highly recommend the Sony WH-1000XM3 over the Bose. I’ve used Bose for the last 6 years so my time with them has not been short. :) I like the Sony ones way better, not to mention the features.

The in ear Quiet Comfort 20s, corded not bluetooth..., are very good. I had one at work, and bought one for myself. My understanding is the 30s are not quite as good.

Tortuga makes a nice travel backpack too. I have one of the earlier generations and don’t know how it compares to the new ones. Holds everything I need it to hold as a carryon for travel, including my regulator, change of clothes, etc.

Tortuga | Travel Backpacks

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just found out a tour we're going on will only allow a carry-on that is 12"x11"x6" and it cannot have wheels or a hard handle. If it's an inch or two off in any direction, no big deal, as long as it's squishy and can be crammed into the overhead on a tour bus. So ... with that in mind, any thoughts? We've been looking at the Duluth Portage 25L. It's expensive but is heavy canvas and will last.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just found out a tour we're going on will only allow a carry-on that is 12"x11"x6" and it cannot have wheels or a hard handle. If it's an inch or two off in any direction, no big deal, as long as it's squishy and can be crammed into the overhead on a tour bus. So ... with that in mind, any thoughts? We've been looking at the Duluth Portage 25L. It's expensive but is heavy canvas and will last.

I'm planning on using a mesh bag with a drawstring when I fly Divi-Divi Air (10"x10"x14"). They are rugged and can be put in any shape or size. Best part - they are cheap, and you can use them snorkeling or diving to collect junk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom