Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only seen them on Soldierfish I have pictures from way back with them attached not sure if it is becoming more prevalent or not.

Does not seem to inhibit the fish in any way may be symbiotic but have no idea what the benefit to the fish is.

They are always attached in the same location unlike some other parasites which attach anywhere.

View attachment 488745
Until about a year or so ago, I had never seem one of these parasites attached to a fish. Now I have seen this several times, is it happening more frequently?
I don't think they are any more prevalent than they have been. Maybe more so, now that you have noticed it, your "trained eye" is seeing more of them. That's a good thing!!

"Reef Fishes Corals and Invertebrates of the Caribbean" by Elizabeth and Lawson Wood has pictures and explanations on page 54.

Also

"Reef Creature Identification" by Paul Humann and Ned Deloach explains them on page 238.

Both very good books to have.

Look close it's not coral....don't see these often anymore.

K July Jean July 4 018 copy.jpg
K July Jean July 4 019 copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom