Assembling simple, bullet-proof, back-up reg set for remote, rugged diving, how does this sound ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
While I've got a large assortment of reg sets, bits, and pieces to choose from, I'm choosing what I hope is a decent, highly reliable, idiot proof reg set or sets for rugged diving in remote, little or no support, dive locations.

Last night I assembled an 'old' Sherwood Maximus yoke 1st-stage/2nd-stage with an old surplus Atomic T2 octo, and Highland SPG. (I also have a DIN version of the exact same Sherwood 1st-stage, I'll install a fresh DIN adapter from E-Bay on it as the original one is a tiny bit crusty on the threads). The Sherwood regs are in excellent shape, other than being dated to about the year 2000, thus 'old'. (The Maximus 2nd stage is the oval shaped version, lacking the "S" for Sherwood on the purge cover) The T2 octo is a little scuffed but appears to be fully functional and OK. I plan to have them fully serviced @ Scubatoys to refresh all O-rings and confirm no hidden issues. I'll install a new Maximus 2nd-stage diaphragm as I sourced a spare on on E-Bay. I don't have a Sherwood brand octo so I'll just use a surplus Atomic T2 octo instead, which simplified servicing as Scubatoys services both Sherwood and Atomic.

I've installed all brand-new hoses (3 LP and 1 HP) just due to the chronological age of the unit, although the old hoses appear fine.

I also have a number of great condition Aqualung Titan LX's (the pre 2008 version) so I'll be working on assembling a couple of those for this purpose as well. (I'll have to get these serviced elsewhere as Scubatoys isn't an Aqualung dealer.)

What do you think of my choices ?

I'm a fan of the conshelf/titan reg when I'm 1200km from a dive shop and another 7hrs from my own limited gear stash. Also, I do insist on doubles of everything if I'm going to be remote. An entire spare reg is better insurance than a minimally better single reg with no backup.

received_248011712536591.jpeg

Used 4 old Sherwood Maximus regs for the dive therapy program (equally remote) the past two summers. The second stages are prone to jamming up the way ours are set due to the heavy silt, but the firsts seem durable, I just don't have a track record personally of them. Probably just my preference on liking the conshelf regs.

Regards,
Cameron

I use an old Conshelf 14 with Sea Hornet 'Command Air' second stages with Scubapro BAR SPG as my bullet proof remote area spare set up. Had to use it a couple of times, always worked flawlessly.
The Aqualung Titan LX based reg set would also be good, maybe with corresponding unbalanced second stage... rugged and simple.
BTW are you interested in selling your 'old surplus Atomic T2 octo'?
I'm chasing one to make up an affordable second hand Atomic reg set for my nephew...

My do it all reg likely would be a ScubaPro MK2 and a 109/156 second. Bomb proof, inexpensive, and simple to fix.

YMMV

@ Cameron, I always take 2 full reg sets on all trips, usually a pair of fancy-pants Atomics...or Scubapros....or Apeks, but interested in cheaper/simple for the reliability factor and the 'sacrifice' factor in the event I find myself in a gear abuse situation (rocky/sandy shore diving....or no way to rinse/soak gear...or where the boat crew isn't too careful with gear and tends to sling/drag it around, or leave dust caps off....or as a loner to other divers where I won't freak out of it gets scratched/dinged up by another diver in a 'loner' role.)

I am a Sherwood fan and do not consider yours old...compared to mine. One of my go to 1st's is an old din franken Brut, early 90's, maybe.
I would go with a metal 2nd, not plastic given your scenario.
I have a box full of cracked bodied regs, sherwoods, usd, and Beuchat.
Another go to set for me is a Beuchat vs4 mated to an old Aquarius 2nd. Very simple and rugged.
The Din Sherwood is mated to dual Prosub Command Airs. The plastic on these is pretty thick and they are excellent breathers.

My do it all reg likely would be a ScubaPro MK2 and a 109/156 second. Bomb proof, inexpensive, and simple to fix.

YMMV

I do have a bunch of MK 5's and 109/156's....as well as a vintage MK2. The MK 2 has sort of ended up in my vintage 'museum' as have most of my MK5/109/156 units and most are way too pretty to dive with! :) I do have a few less than pristine MK5/109/156's that could step into the sacrificial role, so that's an option. I just hate seeing and hearing metal 2nd stages 'doing the maracas' in the dive bag, or clanking/bouncing off the dive boat/bench/ground/etc. I know the metal can take it, but don't like the 'hailed on my car' cosmetic patina.

I am a Sherwood fan and do not consider yours old...compared to mine. One of my go to 1st's is an old din franken Brut, early 90's, maybe.
I would go with a metal 2nd, not plastic given your scenario.
I have a box full of cracked bodied regs, sherwoods, usd, and Beuchat.
Another go to set for me is a Beuchat vs4 mated to an old Aquarius 2nd. Very simple and rugged.
The Din Sherwood is mated to dual Prosub Command Airs. The plastic on these is pretty thick and they are excellent breathers.

I was looking for a old Sherwood with 2nd-stage external adjustments, only the Maximus filled the bill, plus I kinda like the look of that 2nd-stage somehow. From my historical research, while the Maximus performance isn't necessarily top shelf, it's perfectly sufficient within any recreational diving limits, and the dry-bleed 1st-stage hopefully enhances reliability/cleanliness.

I have settled on sealed Atomics as the most simple/reliable, the seat saver helps avoid problems too. The 109/156 BA is an incredible second but I too don’t like them banging around getting dings and scuffs.

Back
Top Bottom