Integrated depth gauge the next snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@CuzzA

The two questions were:

In what diving instructional book did you read that "Make your ascent no faster than your bubbles....."

Accordingly Why a safety stop ? When did a Safety stop become mandatory
?

You have a certain amount of expertise I was anticipating that you had the answers..

My I assure that you don't have the answers ?

Cheers on this Veterans day 2018

Sam Miller,III

On one arm I wear my compass and computer. On the other arm is my depth gauge and watch. I like redundancy.

@CuzzA

The two questions were:

In what diving instructional book did you read that "Make your ascent no faster than your bubbles....."

Accordingly Why a safety stop ? When did a Safety stop become mandatory
?

You have a certain amount of expertise I was anticipating that you had the answers..

My I assure that you don't have the answers ?

Cheers on this Veterans day 2018

Sam Miller,III
I was taught the technique in PADI open water. I don't recall if it was in the literature or training DVD, as it was years ago. I am not an instructor.

Safety stops are still optional.

I haven’t had a depth gauge other than my computer for many years, and don’t see the need for a backup. (I do have a backup computer, but not because ai’m worried about losing depth info.) Assuming you are not solo diving, in the rare event whatever you are using for depth failed, you could always look at your buddies. Obviously that doesn't work for NDL in a computer, but for depth just inconvienient.

@CuzzA

Thank you for your very prompt reply-- I apologize for not responding immediately.

Today is what as known in the US as Veteran's day . Every Year for as long as I can remember I always attend Veterans Day ceremonies held on our local pier to honor my friends and others who paid the ultimate price for our freedom- It is a special day for me. My dear wife says I am rather morose until 11 minutes after 11 O'clock

You are so correct that ascending at the speed the of slowest bubbles with a optional safety stop. Ascending at or some where near the speed of bubbles has been the standard in of recreational diving long before PADI was created and your fuzzy faced instructor began diving

The "safety stop" is relative new- I have not researched it - but around 25-30 years ago it was discovered by some European researchers - Swedish as I recall--and the JYC team et al discovered that a short out gassing safety stop would prevent Aseptic Bone Necrosis - the death of log bones in the absences of bacteria.

Now it is standard practice

In SoCal there is a place called Farnsworth Banks, located in the open ocean off Catalina Island. It was considered to dangerous to dive for both commercial and sport diving-depth, currents and hungry sharks , Some how my tribe didn't get the message and I was the one of the first to dive it and certainly led the first dive trip to the banks. The following is a series of post about that first dive in December 1960-58 years ago - Made with crude commercial of home made equipment with out any instrumentation in homemade wet suits--And no or very crude depth gauges

~~ http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/438366-farnsworth-4th-november-2012-nearly-perfect-2.html ~~~

I suspect one day the will the depth gauge will be the first to disappear but a lot of other items will tumble off in the near or distant future when diving becomes more mainstream.

Thanks again for your response _ always enjoy reading your post

Sam Miller, 111

@drbill

@CuzzA

Thank you for your very prompt reply-- I apologize for not responding immediately.

Today is what as known in the US as Veteran's day . Every Year for as long as I can remember I always attend Veterans Day ceremonies held on our local pier to honor my friends and others who paid the ultimate price for our freedom- It is a special day for me. My dear wife says I am rather morose until 11 minutes after 11 O'clock

You are so correct that ascending at the speed the of slowest bubbles with a optional safety stop. Ascending at or some where near the speed of bubbles has been the standard in of recreational diving long before PADI was created and your fuzzy faced instructor began diving

The "safety stop" is relative new- I have not researched it - but around 25-30 years ago it was discovered by some European researchers - Swedish as I recall--and the JYC team et al discovered that a short out gassing safety stop would prevent Aseptic Bone Necrosis - the death of log bones in the absences of bacteria.

In SoCal there is a place called Farnsworth Banks, located in the open ocean off Catalina Island. It was considered to dangerous to dive for both commercial and sport diving-depth, currents and hungry sharks , Some how my tribe didn't get the message and I was the one of the first to dive it and certainly led the first dive trip to the banks. The following is a series of post about that first dive in December 1960-58 years ago - Made with crude commercial of home made equipment with out any instrumentation in homemade wet suits--And no or very crude depth gauges

~~ http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/438366-farnsworth-4th-november-2012-nearly-perfect-2.html ~~~

I suspect one day the will the depth gauge will be the first to disappear but a lot of other items will tumble off in the near or distant future when diving becomes more mainstream.

Sam Miller, 111

@drbill
Likewise, Sam, I enjoy hearing about the history of our sport from your posts.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Forthodoxmilitary.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F10%2Fveterans_day_2007_poster1a.jpg

@CuzzA

Sam Miller, 111

@drbill

My father also made a wetsuit for a buddy that was super tall and skinny, no suit would work for him. Also repaired modified his own and made his own dive tanks out of 50ci size firebottles made doubles and had them hydro tested. He used to dive quarries in PA and dive in the navy from his carrier. Just for fun not as a "navy diver" , they wouldnt let him be a military diver due to some condition he had. He used to cave dive around 1962 to 1964 , back then it was extremely dangerous. they also drove and old 50s car into a rock quarry down a road and coasted it down to 60 ft deep after it went in the water and engine died. windows all wide open and scuba dived back up. thus my nickname on this site haha.

I mean could you imagine two idiots driving a car in full scuba gear up to the quarry and down the ramp?

With my usual 20-30 foot shore dives I just use the watch and depth gauge. No need for redundancy. On deeper dives I add the computer, but usually still wind up looking at the watch, but look at the computer for depth as opposed to the SPG. Computer is neat for bottom time, of course.

WOW! It is the great idea, to add selfmade depthgauge to the Schnorchel !
It is very simple to made it, mark it, and use when you loss you computer, buddy, bouy (with marked line), and head

V (current) = V (max.) * 10 / (10 + depth) is the metric formula for marking depths
You just have to add transparent tube (even soft is suitable), mark depthes, and be happy! :)
you will own capillary depth gauge

in our country I`d saw this one to sale on the diving exibitions
gallery_2443_8_23911.jpg

but my friend just made it by DIY way:
file.php?id=8917&mode=view.jpg

So, you can add like this to the snorkel and foget about it till better times :)

@АлександрД
Thank you for the very informative post-- it is appreciated !

The depth gauge did not appear in the American market until recreational diving was several years old. The very first depth gauge -- which I still have several- were simple plastic capillary units attached to the wrist by two rubber bands (elastics for Canadians & Brits) which cost less than a dollar,

Some years ago I spent a number of years teaching a 18 week college Advanced SCUBA course, One of the requirements was to create a capillary depth gauge -- very similar to yours - from a length of plastic tubing and compare it to a manufactured capillary gauge -- they produced identical readings.

In those days of yesteryear we relied on the readings from a Capillary gauge to provide accurate shallow water depth readings for in water decompression.-- As you and I certainly realize they are very accurate in depth less than 30 feet and never require batteries and only occasional tube cleaning maintenance.

Hombre, keep on posting your great posts - they are informative an bring back many good and great memories

Sam Miller, 111

Back
Top Bottom