Should I try a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He didn't say that. That's a straw man argument.

The OP's question was about whether he should switch to a rebreather.

I believed the OP wanted to try a rebreather to see how it works and eventually decide to switch to CCR one day. I don't find it dangerous or such, only because he has 24 dives, in fact it's not much more dangerous than OC (again: we're talking about the experience in a controlled environment... going for a full course, buying a reb and using and maintain it alone, it's another story..).

I believed the OP wanted to try a rebreather to see how it works and eventually decide to switch to CCR one day. I don't find it dangerous or such, only because he has 24 dives, in fact it's not much more dangerous than OC (again: we're talking about the experience in a controlled environment... going for a full course, buying a reb and using and maintain it alone, it's another story..).

Actually, the OP didn't ask anything that specific about try-dives, etc.... The OP just asked if a rebreather would have advantages in terms of depth and run time, and if it would be helpful if they went into marine biology.

My straw man comment was directed at your comment:

"So you are a CCR diver and because of your experience, you can determine that someone with less than 24 dives will risk to die for trying a rebreather?"

No one said that.

Actually, the OP didn't ask anything that specific about try-dives, etc.... The OP just asked if a rebreather would have advantages in terms of depth and run time, and if it would be helpful if they went into marine biology.

The answer is "yes" to both.

And the thread is actually titled:

My reply was to whoever said that he would kill himself because he has only 24 dives.. i don't remember if it was you or whatever. That phrase was a non sense.

The answer is "yes" to both.

And the thread is actually titled:

My reply was to whoever said that he would kill himself because he has only 24 dives.. i don't remember if it was you or whatever. That phrase was a non sense.

Sorry, but no one said that he would die if he tried a rebreather. I think that the post you were responding to by another member implied that switching to a rebreather after only 24 dives could be deadly. Which is true.

This is actually a pretty boring point to debate.

Sorry, but no one said that he would die if he tried a rebreather. I think that the post you were responding to by another member implied that switching to a rebreather after only 24 dives could be deadly. Which is true."

Now you are doing the interpreter of other people words. Here's the message I was replying to:

With less than 24 dives experience, a great way to die before you get to 50 dives. Just learn how to dive first and once you have a few hundred dives and more knowledge, then revisit this question.

Contextualizaed in a thread that is titled: "Should I try a rebreather?" the above sentence is IMO a non sense. Hence I asked him if he is an instructor to determine that someone will die by using a rebreather only because he has 24 dives in the book.

This is actually a pretty boring point to debate.

I agree, however it's fun how people come to play the advocate, answering to question placed to other users, interpreting the words spoken by others (like those others cannot type anymore) and then get bored when realize the nonsense.

OK, I changed my mind. This IS fun. Since I can't dive, I'll play semantic games here...

clownfishsydney:
With less than 24 dives experience, a great way to die before you get to 50 dives. Just learn how to dive first and once you have a few hundred dives and more knowledge, then revisit this question.

So you are a CCR diver and because of your experience, you can determine that someone with less than 24 dives will risk to die for trying a rebreather?

Contextualizaed in a thread that is titled: "Should I try a rebreather?" the above sentence is IMO a non sense. Hence I asked him if he is an instructor to determine that someone will die by using a rebreather only because he has 24 dives in the book.

So your snarky post that I actually responded to was when you stated that clownfishsydney said the OP would die for TRYING a rebreather.

Now, you are saying that you actually meant that he said that the OP would die by USING a rebreather.

Those are two different things. I only was only responding to the snarky comment, which I thought wasn't helpful. This has nothing to do with diving or rebreathers.

Yeah, I just wanted to see if I should try it to see if I would like it since one of the questions I got asked when registering was what type of rebreather I used, and sidenote I'm a she not a he ^-^

I've seen rebreathers in my local dive shop, and was asked about them on the survey for this site, but I've never used one before, I mainly use the standard regulator system with a yoke valve. Would a rebreather make my dives last longer or could I go deeper? Would it be easier to use than a regulator? What level of certification do I need in order to use one? And would I need to know how to use one if I'm going into the Marine Biology field?
Thanks in advance!
Well I had no idea this thread would go in this direction whoops. I'm thankful for the help I got on the subject and I'll ask again when I apply for my advanced divers lisence, but wow this was a really mixed threat

Yeah, I just wanted to see if I should try it to see if I would like it since one of the questions I got asked when registering was what type of rebreather I used, and sidenote I'm a she not a he ^-^

That is the first step... and yes, it can be done anytime even with limited experience. It's fair to say that more experience you have better you can evaluate the eventual advantages of using a CCR for your own purposes, but on the other side trying a reb in a controlled environment it is really not more dangerous than doing a normal OC dive, or it's even the opposite: a OC "not supervised" dive is indeed more dangerous than trying a CCR in closed / shallow water with the constant contact of a certified instructor.
After you have decided that a CCR is what you want, you will continue with your scuba route, gaining more experience and finally participating to a CCR course to be properly prepared to use and maintain a CCR autonomously (that is a whole different scenario than trying it in shallow water or in a pool...).
A lot of people here have their alarming bell ringing as soon they hear the magic word "rebreather" eheh.. and they have assumed thay you wanted to buy and use a rebreather with just 24 dives.. that is indeed a madness, hence I didn't even considered that option and I figured that you just wanted to TRY it, after all the thread is titled "Should I try a rebreather?".
Dive safe!

That is the first step... and yes, it can be done anytime even with limited experience. It's fair to say that more experience you have better you can evaluate the eventual advantages of using a CCR for your own purposes, but on the other side trying a reb in a controlled environment it is really not more dangerous than doing a normal OC dive, or it's even the opposite: a OC "not supervised" dive is indeed more dangerous than trying a CCR in closed / shallow water with the constant contact of a certified instructor.
After you have decided that a CCR is what you want, you will continue with your scuba route, gaining more experience and finally participating to a CCR course to be properly prepared to use and maintain a CCR autonomously (that is a whole different scenario than trying it in shallow water or in a pool...).
A lot of people here have their alarming bell ringing as soon they hear the magic word "rebreather" eheh.. and they have assumed thay you wanted to buy and use a rebreather with just 24 dives.. that is indeed a madness, hence I didn't even considered that option and I figured that you just wanted to TRY it, after all the thread is titled "Should I try a rebreather?".
Dive safe!
Sure, I'll look into it more on my own and ask around the Dive Shop near me! Thanks for the advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom