How many dives before you cease to be a beginner ? [Poll]

How many dives must you do before you cease to be a beginner ?

• 1-50

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • 51-100

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • 101-200

Votes: 50 32.1%
  • 201-400

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 22 14.1%
  • n/a

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I interpreted it as a cheeky fellow who makes sarcastic or ironic remarks. The original connection was to "tongues wagging" and gossiping.

I am 65 years old, started diving in 1967. Every time I go to a new site, or try new equipment configurations, I am once again a beginner. One day I may get it right.

impostor.png

To me every dive is a new beginning which would make me a beginner on every dive.

To me every dive is a new beginning which would make me a beginner on every dive.
I try to treat every dive as if it's my first, even at very familiar sites.

You are always a beginner. That is the mindset I have. I may have experience in some aspects but always a beginner in some. That is how you push your limits outward and further. Learn new things. Comfortable with singles. Move to doubles. After some years and couple hundred dives move to sidemount. After some years and hundreds of further dives go get cave certified. After that and hundreds of dives go get rebreather training, after hundreds of dives go ice diving, after hundreds of dives... probably about to croak but that is the point. Dive every week if you can. I dive 8 months a year every weekend. I have hundreds of dives. I am still a beginner in my mind...

I pretty much stopped pushing my limits outward and further after taking the DM course and assisting those 4 years. Since then, my diving has been simple benign shallow shore dives, mostly at sites I'm very familiar with. Maybe once a year a 2 tank charter in the Gulf of Mexico. Thus, I declare I am no longer a beginner because I almost never learn new things or expand my limits.
I also more & more look for the easiest entry and exit points, as the tank gets heavier each year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom