How many dives before you cease to be a beginner ? [Poll]

How many dives must you do before you cease to be a beginner ?

• 1-50

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • 51-100

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • 101-200

Votes: 50 32.1%
  • 201-400

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 22 14.1%
  • n/a

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am curious to know if there is a well accepted minimum number of dives that an individual must do before he should, in theory at least, cease to be considered a "beginner" ?

Let's imagine a best-case scenario where the certifying agency is considered to have high standards, the instructor also, and the student diver a prudent individual who is well motivated to learn and apply sound advice from all matter of reputable sources.

Naturally, let us also make the important distinction between beginner and learner, because a good diver will learn on each and every dive, so learning will be a lifelong process.

Don't hesitate to comment freely on your vote.

When I had 100 dives I felt I was doing great and had my skills down. When I got to 500 dives I realized I didn't know what I was thinking at 100 dives. At 1,000 dives I realized I finally knew all there was to know. At 2,000 dives I realized that the old saying is correct. A good diver is always learning.

I would think it varies greatly from diver to diver. I voted 51-100 because I got PADI MSD when I finished dive #50 and did my first real solo dive after #75. Long before either I found that I was hovering without thinking about it, so who knows what you'd have to be able to do to not be classified as beginner.

I am curious to know if there is a well accepted minimum number of dives that an individual must do before he should, in theory at least, cease to be considered a "beginner" ?

Minimum of 100 dives seems to be a common prerequisite for various different agencies technical training classes. Therefore, I think you could say 100 is a "well accepted minimum number"

It is not the number of dives you have, but rather the amount you learn and improve with each dive, and the individual's motivation that are important. I have seen divers with 100+ dives that were less competent than others with 40 total dives. As in most hobbies, some divers improve at a fantastic rate while others never do.

When I had 100 dives I felt I was doing great and had my skills down. When I got to 500 dives I realized I didn't know what I was thinking at 100 dives.

I believe this statement should be affixed on the website of every diving agency.

It confirms the suspicion I had from the very beginning about all this diving stuff.

:)

When I had 100 dives I felt I was doing great and had my skills down. When I got to 500 dives I realized I didn't know what I was thinking at 100 dives. At 1,000 dives I realized I finally knew all there was to know. At 2,000 dives I realized that the old saying is correct. A good diver is always learning.

To quote my buddy who's been diving for decades...

"If you stay in this sport, and really apply yourself , in 10 years you might be the diver you think you are today."​

Back
Top Bottom