speargun opinions wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If its a first gun, or even second or third, I recommend a Biller. For shooters with more experience a Riffe or one of the custom solutions (such as the Wong gun) is the best way to go. Since you've asked this question I'll assume you're not terribly experienced. Biller guns give an excellent quailty/performance/cost ratio.

In pretty much all cases, wooden guns perform better than metal, band guns far better than pneumatic.

Maintenance for a wooden gun is simply rinse well. Maghogany or, even more so teak, hold up fine for years. Obviously check your bands and shock-cord rubber often and replace as needed.

One note- if you plan to tank hunt you may, depending on several factors, find it difficult to cock a long (over 48") gun with your gear on. I recommend trying before you buy a 52" or longer gun.

WW

I read that you hear the JBL is not that good of a gun, and i was sad to hear it becasue i was recently thinking of purchasing a JBL woody magnum. so i was wondering if anyone could elaborate on why it is not good and it so could they point me in the direction of a good starter or just good gun, and like chad im limited on funds. I can get the JBL Woody magnum for $180, damn good price i thought, should i try for somthing else or just get it? thanks

Skn Dvr,

This thread is going on 2 years old, but the information remains the same.

You have not told us where you'll be shooting or if freediving or scuba, but if I were to pick a gun from JBL it would be their Woody Magnum, but it comes with 3 9/16" bands and a detachable tip. I'd much prefer two 5/8" bands and a non-detachable head. even better would be a freeshaft. (BTW, that stated 24' range is BS.)

You can get those things on a stock SS or Biller gun. A good dealer can give you a lot of advice and do some customizing for you as well.

Chad

Best overall workhouse for me: Spetton Carbon.

It has a great muzzle, euro style (that's my preference), great trigger. The carbon has all the advantages of wood without the disadvantages.

I dive in sub-tropical south florida. We shoot snappers, grouper, dorado, etc. the typical stuff. Definitely not a big game gun. But than again: I only shoot things my friends and family eat.

Guns are built first for diving styles.

Scuba or freediving, clear water or not, big fish or little fish. It just gets more complex from there, but if you determine what you want it to do, it gets easier.

What they are made out of is not as important as the other aspects, so narrow those down first.

Chad

The Biller gun, because of its muzzle design, can also be shot string shaft style, eg the line is tied to the shaft and no slide ring is present. However, this requires a Biller "Freeshaft" with predrilled hole forward of the notches. It also requires that the shooting line be string and not monofilament. Omer 1.7mm dyneema available from Leisurepro is excellent for this.

The Biller Special guns, as opposed to the Aussie Sea Hornet, are more strongly built with thicker plastic. Even the wood components of the Biller are about 1/16 thicker. For this reason, the longevity of the cheaper "Specials" (as opposed to the monostock Biller Limited) is more than satisfactory. This fact confers a big advantage when shopping bargains on EBay. Note that the prospective buyer should look for guns fitted with the "bazooka" style grip. Only this gun has the hardened sear and thicker components. It also has the improved muzzle addressed above.

For Florida, my preference would be the 54 inch Special teak. However, if the 48 inch gun is selected mahogany would be the choice.

There have been reports of problems with the Omer trigger mechanism. Specifically, several divers on the Hawaii skin diver board have experienced trigger jams and one reported accidental prefire while loading. The problem is that a few grains of sand can freeze or upset the mechanism.

im a dive in hawaii and mainly reef, free diving, soon scuba. as by my question, im a new. so i was wondering is a A.B. Biller sea hornet a good gun?

SknDvr12:
im a dive in hawaii and mainly reef, free diving, soon scuba. as by my question, im a new. so i was wondering is a A.B. Biller sea hornet a good gun?

Freediving reefs in Hawaii will be best with a very fast line gun. Very clear water and relatively small skitish fish.

Look for a gun with a thin 9/32" spear, single Hawaiian flopper, and long band stretch proportional to gun length.

In the low end price range, you will find aluminum rail guns probably the most suitable.

Aimrite (Hawaiian company), Rabitech and Omer are some of the popular brands.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom