Would the S&S YS-17 be compatible with the Nikon WP-N1 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerbee

Contributor
Reaction score
Baton Rouge, LA / Puerto Galera, Philippines
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Would the Sea&Sea YS-17 (or the Olympus UFL-1 clone of it) be compatible with the Nikon WP-N1 housing, if using a fiber optic cable? If so, what cable should I get? Optical D type L? I found this thread which indicates that the YS-17 would work: Non-Nikon strobe for Nikon J-1 housing? It says that almost any strobe with fiber optic sync would work... is this accurate?

I'm new to non-point & shoot UW photography and am trying to build a relatively low-budget setup w/ a Nikon 1 J1, the housing, and 2 strobes.

Nikon says that the S&S YS-D1 works, but it's pricey... Inon says "INON Z-240/D-2000/S-2000" are all compatible.

Here's a link to the thread where I list what all I just bought (camera, housing, etc): W300 or Nikon 1 J1 w/ WP-N1 and WU-1b?

Last edited:
Sorry. I know this thread is a bit old. I have the same housing. One issue with the Nikon 1 series mirror less bodies was that they use a pre flash so whatever strobe you buy has to be able to adapt to that. I’m using the Sea&sea ys-01. I would look into the Sea&sea ys-03 as well. It comes in a kit with mount/flex arm/and optic cable included.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom