Different equalization techniques - which one is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There are several equalization techniques:
1) "Valsalva": pinch and blow
2) "Toynbee": pinch and swallow
3) "Lowry": holding nose, closing mouth, small pressurization, and a swallow
4) "Frenzel" (or "Marcante - Odaglia"): diaphragmatic
5) "Frenzel-Fattah mouth fill"
6) "Hands-free": voluntary opening of Eustachian tubes
7) Other
Ear clearing - Wikipedia
In scuba perhaps technique is less important than in freediving. As long as you equalize, it's done. Anyway do you think there is a best way to equalize? Is it really important to choose an efficient equalizing maneuver or actually in scuba any of them will do the job and the advantage of using a proper technique is negligible in terms of air consumption?

EDIT
I changed the list and added a short description of each maneuver

No hands clearing

I have heard about this but I can't perform it myself...

Clearing the ears "no hands"

I've heard that actually not all can equalize hands free but only some persons who happen to have a better control of the movement of the involved muscles. Is that true or anybody can learn the technique?

I equalise no hands. When you yawn (not in water..) you hear a "crackling" sound, which is the equalizing. If you can figure out how to get to that place it's done. If I am rocketing down deep on an anchor line, I may at some point have to swallow to equalize. I may have to swallow on a plane as well.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've worked with a fair number of scuba students. I've found that Valsalva (just holding your nose, closing your mouth, and blowing) is NOT a good technique for most of them! In fact, i think it is downright dangerous. Better is Toynbee (holding nose and swallowing), and almost always successful is Lowry (holding nose, closing mouth , small pressurization, and a swallow). Frenzel is harder to learn but is my personal favorite; my right ear prefers it. i've not found a student jet who can clear with the jaw-thrust movement.

Some techniques work better for different people. But if a person uses the Valsalva maneuver, he should learn another technique as well, because the Valsalva is potentially dangerous. The reason it's dangerous is that if gentle Valsalva isn't working some people start blowing harder and harder. This has an opposite affect than desired and can lead to damage. So I suggest using gentle Valsalva if you wish, but have another method to turn to if it isn't working

=

Back
Top Bottom