Computer for video/photo's on liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BAMA6977

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First I have tried 2-3 different searches and no good answers/recommendations.

What would you recommend as a computer to take on live aboard trip to view, store photos from SD cards and possibly edit? I am not a professional so do not have deep pockets and I want something user friendly. Thanks

I use a 15” MacBook Pro w/16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and 2GB GeForce video. It works well for both, though I do primarily photo work with it.

FWIW the raw files I’m processing are around 100MB uncompressed 14bit or 60 or so if I use lossless compressed.

I am not a professional so do not have deep pockets and I want something user friendly

What's your budget? It will allow everyone to give you options in your range..

Thanks for the reply. Would like to stay under $600.00 and most familiar with WINDOWS

If you're willing to put off editing until you get home, there are several storage solutions specifically designed for traveling photographers that will transfer your photos from your SD cards. Easier to do that than deal with a computer onboard, and keeps you from having to carry around a ton of SD cards.

You'll have to pry my Thinkpad X1 Yoga out of my cold, dead hands, but it's significantly more expensive than $600. At that price point, you'll have to compromise on screen quality (not good for editing photographs), durability (not good for surviving extended trips), size and weight (there's only so much you can fit into a carry-on, after packing the camera, lenses, housing, ports, lights, strobes and batteries), battery life and performance. A refurb Dell XPS 13 from outlet.dell.com might be a good choice - get one of the cheaper models and upgrade the SSD yourself to a higher capacity SKU.

If you don't need to edit your pics and videos, and just want to get them off your camera, consider a portable external HD. Last time I checked they were ca. $60 for a 2 TB drive, USB3 and powered by the USB port (so no wall wart). You'll still need an inexpensive laptop, but the external drive gives you a measure of redundancy.

If you are looking for basic storage and basic editing maybe look at an ipad with a camera connection kit. That is what i am planing on doing for my trip next month not fancy but it would work

But it is hard to get a new iPad for $600. The 10.5 is about $650. The good news is that Photoshop now runs on it so if you have a PS subscription that would work. At your budget, this is probably the best bet
Asus VivoBook Flip 14 TP401CA-DHMT4

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom