Koh Bon or not to Koh Bon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there

We are in Thailand and thinking about a spontaneous dive excursion. We are looking at the Similan islands two day trip. We have been given the option to go to Koh Bon.
We would be looking at going early next week.

Is it too early to see Mantas?

Thanks!

Personally I think two days is too short for a Similans trip. I would recommend a 4 days/4 nights liveaboard or longer.
I have seen mantas at Koh Bon on 2 trips, both times in February, but sightings happen at many different times of the season. I have been to Koh Bon on maybe 10 other trips with no mantas. You just never know. I would recommend just enjoying the dives and forgetting the "big stuff checklist". If you make the success of your trip dependent on seeing specific things, you are likely to be disappointed.

This time of year I would not recommend Koh Bon. Later on in the season with a good chance of manta rays I would recommend it.

It's a bit early for Koh Bon Mantas. But I would still go for some good diving.

Back
Top Bottom