White balance on LX 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It must sound obvious to others, but I have just bought an LX 10 (replacing an old GoPro) with an Ikelite housing and I am trying to figure out the white balance issue. I can see the button and understand the Fn approach but what exactly to you do to get the right white balance once you are underwater?

Apologies for the newbie question , but grateful for any assistance!

Best,

Rene

If you're shooting stills, then it's far easier to just shoot RAW and set the white balance afterwards. If you're doing video, then it's a little more involved - before starting your clip, point the camera at a reference point and take a reading, then start recording. A grey slate is ideal, but I've seen a palm being used with good results.

If you're shooting stills, then it's far easier to just shoot RAW and set the white balance afterwards. If you're doing video, then it's a little more involved - before starting your clip, point the camera at a reference point and take a reading, then start recording. A grey slate is ideal, but I've seen a palm being used with good results.
Dear Barmaglot,

Many thanks, will try and see how I fare...

Best,

RA

@rcaqua did you try this ? I am exactly in your shoes and upgraded to lx10 from gopro. Trying to figure this out.

Dear Vic K,

Not yet; going to Sharm later this week, hope to give it a try...

RA

Hope you have a great trip in Sharm. Post some videos

hold your hand in front of the camera as if you were going to take a picture of your palm and that will work to set the white balance if you don't carry a slate. In shallow dives (30ft or less (sometimes even 40ft)) you really don't even need to touch the white balance. The camera does a great job underwater.

Good luck :)

Thank you @ponomo1 this is very helpful. I see that you have a no. of posts about lx10. Will do some reading this weekend. Getting my lx10 and nauticam housing today. Want to have some decent idea about it. If you can point towards some helpful topics that will be great. I do like taking videos over stills. Have a live aboard trip coming up in December to Turks and Caicos so hope to get some familiarity by then.

Vic K how did you make out on your trip with the LX-10? I was not able to get away in January like I had hoped but I am still locked in for Galapagos in May so I have my fingers crossed the LX performs well out there.

Hi @ponomo1 took the camera rig to our first LiveAboard in T&C. There was definitely lot to get used to. I was struggling with focus colors etc. took some really good and some really bad videos. I definitely need some help with settings tips tricks etc. I should confess I am not very camera savvy and know I have a big learning curve.

Back
Top Bottom