Dive Knife That Could Also be Used for Camping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is it worth it? That’s a lot of money. Curious.

To me knives need to fit my hand properly, hold the edge, be forgiving if you're not religious about maintenance, and have enough size to cut anything you may need (not just a thread of mono).

I agree there's others with similar qualities for less money, some percentage of the Randall's price is due to name and I wouldn't sacrifice other purchases in order to get one, but after you have all the gear you may need for the next decade is a nice addition.

The other knife I also like just as much is a Mark 3 but I don't know if it can be purchase by civilians.

No kidding, I have several of the giants from the past, SP, Healthways, sportsways, etc, it seems the last knife I ever needed was a $30 4” titanium blunt tip because it’s the only one I use for the past decade.

Randall knives are for serious collectors. Hard to get so supply / Demand makes them worth the price.

@certainmisuse what kind of camping use do you need it to do? I have a Benchmade 112H2O and could easily use it for camping, though don't since I don't like fixed blades for camping and it has a blunt tip. For camping it still has a hook and serrated edge for cutting line/rope, is sharp enough for basic cooking tasks, etc.
Spyderco makes "better" knives for diving as they use the essentially rust-proof H1 steel which is great for rescue knives. Downside to H1 is they don't hold an edge for anything so they require frequent sharpening and isn't something that you would want for a knife you use regularly IMO.

It really depends on what kind of knife you need for camping.

Benchmade 112 H20 Fixed

@tridacna

Both knives are SCUBA Pro imports. The company "SCUBA Pro" was created out of a division of Heathway's in 1962. One catalog, the 1962 edition, was issued by Heathway's prior to bankruptcy. The name and all rights were acquired in the bankruptcy for $1.00 by Dick Bonin and Gus de la Valle

They had very limited capital so Gus who was Italian and spoke numerous European languages, traveled Europe and the earth searching for products for the company to market The knives are examples of Gus's searching

The bone handled model was advertised as "The Knife" a knife for serious divers ...It had limited success in California where dive knives are both a weapon and a necessary tool for digging clams, and prying rock scallops, oysters and abalone . This knife has become a serious collectors item not because of it's original intended
function but because of it everlasting beauty

The other knife with its off set blade ? a ho hum common knife
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Camping and diving ?
suggest checking Harbor Freight
image_23497.jpg

All stainless steel and a divers price -- $8.95

Sam Miller, 111

@tridacna

Both knives are SCUBA Pro imports. The company "SCUBA Pro" was created out of a division of Heathway's in 1962. One catalog, the 1962 edition, was issued by Heathway's prior to bankruptcy. The name and all rights were acquired in the bankruptcy for $1.00 by Dick Bonin and Gus de la Valle

They had very limited capital so Gus who was Italian and spoke numerous European languages, traveled Europe and the earth searching for products for the company to market The knives are examples of Gus's searching

The bone handled model was advertised as "The Knife" a knife for serious divers ...It had limited success in California where dive knives are both a weapon and a necessary tool for digging clams, and prying rock scallops, oysters and abalone . This knife has become a serious collectors item not because of it's original intended
function but because of it everlasting beauty

The other knife with its off set blade ? a ho hum common knife
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Camping and diving ?
suggest checking Harbor Freight
View attachment 487468

All stainless steel and a divers price -- $8.95

Sam Miller, 111

Thanks for the info. I'm going to hold onto the bone model and dump the black one.

For cutting sushi underwater or otherwise:

Toku Atsuraï Mokuzai damas, Santoku

santoku.png

2200.00 Canadian dollars at L'Émouleur in Montreal, Canada.

À propos

I wouldn't combine these two functions.

Scuba knife - hope you never need, rarely is ever used but when needed it needs to work 100%

Camping knife - used often, abused, OK if a little dull just give it a quick sharpen.

I've got small titanium dive knife that just stays attached to my BCD, has been used twice (both times to cutting a big hole in a leaking too much to re-use "Marigold" dry glove so I wouldn't use it again) and is as sharp as the day I bought it and a separate steel knife for camping that get a lot of use, abuse and has been sharpened several times.

I wouldn't combine these two functions.

Scuba knife - hope you never need, rarely is ever used but when needed it needs to work 100%

Camping knife - used often, abused, OK if a little dull just give it a quick sharpen.

I've got small titanium dive knife that just stays attached to my BCD, has been used twice (both times to cutting a big hole in a leaking too much to re-use "Marigold" dry glove so I wouldn't use it again) and is as sharp as the day I bought it and a separate steel knife for camping that get a lot of use, abuse and has been sharpened several times.

Interesting you should mention this ... I'm starting to lean in this direction. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom