Overweight diver equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hittiske

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
I just qualified as a Padi Open water diver, and i would like to buy my first diving equipment, but i find it really difficult. Could someone give me some advice?
I am overweight, and my problems:
The wetsuits for women are all small size, in my size there are only men westuits, which are not comfortable,as it is too tight by hips, and also very long arms, and legs.
Also why are all diving boots has very small ankle? my feet is size 5, but i can't even zip the size 7 on my ankle.
I couldn't find a plus size shop?
Thank you

Henderson has true women's plus sizes in a couple of their wetsuit lines, I have one that fits as well as my custom made suit does.
As for boots, I hear you. I'm good at the ankle, but they are two sizes big to get a pair wide enough.

For suits i can only reccomend to buy made to mesure, it is a litle more expensive but if you think you would dive alot it is worth it.

And if you are going to dive in cold water (you live in the UK?) you should just buy a drysuite from the beginning, then the price do not need to differ so much from confection. you can get a m2m drysuite from about £500

Step 1: Choose your colour & size (Nova) - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

Yes, i live in the UK, but i don't have a training for dry suit, so i need a wetsuit.
My only problem with the bigger ankle boots, is that they slip off because the strap of the fin is pulling it off as i kicking.

Fin savers could help keep boot on

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181105-085640_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181105-085640_Samsung Internet.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 65
Ask on UKDivers forum... or ring Othree in Weymouth, or Aquanauts in Plymouth are pretty friendly.. My gut feel is that you forget the wetsuit and go straight to a drysuit if you can afford it,if want to dive in the UK. The training is really a doddle...find a club and they will help you, no need to pay for a PADI course!

mostly i would like to dive when i'm on holiday, and couple of times only in UK. i think it not worth the money for a drysuit.

Have you already checked out Henderson? They have the most generous sizing that I've found for off the shelf wet suits.

If you can zip one of theirs up, there might be a way to make the suit tolerable for you. ex. Have the length of the legs arms tailored/cut down?

If your weight is stable (or only minor swings in weight) it might be worth it to you to get a wet suit custom made/fitted.

For big peeps...wet suit shopping sucks.

if your just going to dive on hols, then agree, go to a wetsuit...get at least a 3mm so you can layer over it with a shorty and do some uk diving or colder Red Sea stuff. I'm sure othree can do something....even for wetsuits..

Hi
I just qualified as a Padi Open water diver, and i would like to buy my first diving equipment, but i find it really difficult. Could someone give me some advice?
I am overweight, and my problems:
The wetsuits for women are all small size, in my size there are only men westuits, which are not comfortable,as it is too tight by hips, and also very long arms, and legs.
Also why are all diving boots has very small ankle? my feet is size 5, but i can't even zip the size 7 on my ankle.
I couldn't find a plus size shop?
Thank you
Boots first: I found about 10% of my female customers had trouble zipping a standard Henderson boot, so started carrying Ellie Ergo from Aqualung. The Henderson would be trouble for sure at the top of the zipper, not sure about the ankle. Aqualung boot has no zipper, just slide in, much easier than you would think - try one if you can find it. Also, Henderson has recently added a women’s boot, but I have no direct experience. I would try that too if you can find it.
Ellie Ergo Boot
THERMOPRENE WOMEN'S BOOT • Henderson Aquatics
If you get close but not quite, maybe wear a short neoprene sock inside the boot to take up some volume? Also, don’t try shoes and boots early in the day. Your feet swell a bit as the day gets on.

Wetsuits: I have had good luck fitting some overweight women with Henderson, can’t say if similar to you or not. They make several different products, try one of the stretchier lines. Almost every Henderson stock item can also have wrists or ankles shortened up to 4” for added charge before shipping, which may also help you with fit. If you try on a stock item that is perfect but long, you know you have that option. Click the size chart pop up on this page.
TherMaxx® Women’s Back Zip Jumpsuit • Henderson Aquatics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom