video light deal: Evolva Future Technology D02

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since this thread has been revived I want to say that Eric and I no longer use these lights. In another thread Eric wrote...

Unfortunately I can no longer recommend the Evolva lights. When functioning correctly they are very effective, but they simply don’t hold up. All four of our lights have either flooded or the switches have gone bad. When the switch fails the light continuously and rapidly cycles through the various red and white modes. Can’t swear to it, but I believe dives in excess of 100 feet affect the switches adversely over time.

two years ago, these didn't have much competition in their price range. nowadays though, there are bigger and brighter chinese made lights for not much more, so these aren't the bargains they used to be. for a stopgap solution two years ago that was 30 dollars apiece and way cheaper than getting solas, i can't complain too much. my pair still work after about 150ish dives. the switches are starting to go though. i may pop the switches out and do the repairs like @fmerkel.

two years ago, these didn't have much competition in their price range. nowadays though, there are bigger and brighter chinese made lights for not much more, so these aren't the bargains they used to be. for a stopgap solution two years ago that was 30 dollars apiece and way cheaper than getting solas, i can't complain too much. my pair still work after about 150ish dives. the switches are starting to go though. i may pop the switches out and do the repairs like @fmerkel.

Thanks, what do you recommend now then? I saw the springs corroding as a possible issue.

i got 2 new lights a few weeks back and so far they are a lot brighter. i will have an update once i come back from my trip this month. only a handful of shallow dives on them so far. the lumen rating is definitely BS, will have a better reading once my lux meter shows up.

the two bad reviews might be due to using flat top batteries. i didn't have a problem with either of mine by using samsung button top 18650s.

https://www.amazon.com/SecurityIng-Underwater-Flashlight-Waterproof-Photography/dp/B07DMKK4YC

Thanks for the response.

How much brighter are they? Is coverage adequate for wide angle video? Easily adapted to ball mount?

i got 2 new lights a few weeks back and so far they are a lot brighter. i will have an update once i come back from my trip this month. only a handful of shallow dives on them so far. the lumen rating is definitely BS, will have a better reading once my lux meter shows up.

the two bad reviews might be due to using flat top batteries. i didn't have a problem with either of mine by using samsung button top 18650s.

https://www.amazon.com/SecurityIng-Underwater-Flashlight-Waterproof-Photography/dp/B07DMKK4YC

Not in the same price range but Eric and I grew tired of buying the cheap knock offs and dimmer lights. We found these an excellent value for the money (so far) and hope to not need new video lights for many years. And obviously much brighter.

I have linked the version we ordered but as Leisure Pro is known to do they actually sent the newer model.

Bigblue VL3500P, 3500 Lumens LED Video Light

Not in the same price range but Eric and I grew tired of buying the cheap knock offs and dimmer lights. We found these an excellent value for the money (so far) and hope to not need new video lights for many years. And obviously much brighter.

I have linked the version we ordered but as Leisure Pro is known to do they actually sent the newer model.

Bigblue VL3500P, 3500 Lumens LED Video Light

Sure, I can appreciate that but I am just looking for a cheap rig to match the $99 GoPro 2018 I just flashed to the Hero 5. That light is 10x the price of the one originally discussed.

I'm mainly a photo guy and have a few strobes, housings, etc.

Sure, I can appreciate that but I am just looking for a cheap rig to match the $99 GoPro 2018 I just flashed to the Hero 5. That light is 10x the price of the one originally discussed.

I'm mainly a photo guy and have a few strobes, housings, etc.
That’s why I didn’t quote you but posted it as a general FYI.

Another option in the lower price range that so far has not had any issues for us are these. But they are not as bright...

DGX PUSH Handheld Light Kit - Video Beam (See edit)

Twist on not their push button option. Every one of the push button DGE lights that we have has had switch issues.

EDIT: Looks like the twist on video light is either out of stock or nolonger offered. That’s a shame since I can not recommend the push on.

That’s why I didn’t quote you but posted it as a general FYI.

Another option in the lower price range that so far has not had any issues for us are these. But they are not as bright...

DGX PUSH Handheld Light Kit - Video Beam

Twist on not their push button option. Every one of the push button DGE lights that we have has had switch issues.

Evolva Future Technology D02 - 1st one, push button started cycling at depth and could not be turned off, okay at surface; 2nd one, works so far
DGX PUSH Handheld - halfway through first night dive with it, it switched off and could not be turned back on, except for an instant every time the button is pressed; replaced with twist version and works so far

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom