video light deal: Evolva Future Technology D02

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a pair of these Evolva lights in November, and took them to Phuket/Pattaya in December; they didn't seem like much help in daylight diving unless I was shooting macro subjects. They were a lot more help last month, in Subic Bay -- especially after I completed the wreck-diving course and I was able to take videos inside the El Capitan.

However, I had problems with one light - the white lights went out, and it switched on its own between steady red and flashing red until I unscrewed the back of it and broke the negative-pole connection. On close inspection, it looks as though water may have leaked into the front of the light, somehow.

I got in touch with the vendor (Dimples Excel) through Amazon.com, and they are sending me a new light ... I may buy a third light, though, to carry as a "just in case" spare.

I bought a pair of these Evolva lights in November, and took them to Phuket/Pattaya in December; they didn't seem like much help in daylight diving unless I was shooting macro subjects. They were a lot more help last month, in Subic Bay -- especially after I completed the wreck-diving course and I was able to take videos inside the El Capitan.

However, I had problems with one light - the white lights went out, and it switched on its own between steady red and flashing red until I unscrewed the back of it and broke the negative-pole connection. On close inspection, it looks as though water may have leaked into the front of the light, somehow.

I got in touch with the vendor (Dimples Excel) through Amazon.com, and they are sending me a new light ... I may buy a third light, though, to carry as a "just in case" spare.
Reviews like this are very helpful. Glad the manufacturer stands behind the product.

I will be using one Evolva D02 in Hawaii in a couple weeks with a Hero 5. My first dive with both.

I think some units got a short bolt. Just get a longer one. Blue loctite if you are unsure of the holding power, but that won't help with a short bolt.
I just bought four of these D02 lights, and have used blue (medium) Loctite threadlocker on the ball bolts.

I really like the compact equipment that is fixed on the suit and does not require hands. It is very convenient. At this moment, you have free hands and you can take pictures of the underwater world.

REQUIRED MAINTENANCE! You should take the switch apart before you ever dive the light. But you likely have. Do it sooner rather than later.

I sold a friend mine after I convinced him to buy one of his own since they seemed OK to me with about a month's use. . A year later diving in saltwater both lights have nonfunctional switches. They use cheap carbon, (non-stainless) springs and similar magnets. The spring was rusted into 3 pieces and the magnet was a rusty mess as well as the track it slides in.

To take apart you need a #5 TORX bit. They are NOT Allen screws. One was in bad shape and I had to hammer a #6 Torx into it to get it out. Soak used parts in vinegar awhile, and clean up with a brass brush as well as possible. You can slide the magnet in the slot to make sure the light is working before assembly. I'm going to a hardware store next week and see if I can get a good spring. If I can, I'll pack the cavity with thick Dow silicone and put it back together. Make SURE to coat the assembly screws well.

Soak WELL in warm water after a dive. Work the switch a bunch to pump saltwater out. Every 3-6 months (minimally) take it apart and deal with the issues as necessary.

I'll report back on the spring search. If anyone has ideas I'd be glad to hear them. Not a bad light, especially for the price, but the switch design is completely unacceptable for a dive light. Most people won't know there's a problem until the light switch goes bad.

Addendum - found a spring in my stash. No idea how good (ie. stainless?) it is. It's about the size of a ball point pen spring. Packed with thick silicone grease, the whole assembly works again. I only made the 3 screws that hold it together finger tight, and greased them really well. Those suckers can corrode also.

Don't forget to service the large bolt for the mounting ball while you are at it.

Last edited:
I have a Light and Motion Gobe 850 flood, and I'm thinking about getting the Evolva for a 2nd light for video. I'm just easing into UW photography at this point, and have a cheap GoPro knockoff for now.

This is what I have in my cart:

Evolva D02 (w/o battery/charger)

Batteries (2pcs KeepPower IMR 26650 battery 5200mAh 3.7V maximum 30A discharge) Expensive compared to others. Worth the difference?

Charger

Total = $82

I'm tempted to get 2 Evovlas and 4 batteries, and use the Gobe for general use. That would cost $145...

Back
Top Bottom