Semi-dry ... purpose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read this part right here and my first response was to shake my head and think "No, @W W Meixner's got it backwards, the one piece design including built in hood has less places for water to enter because there's no break between the hood and the suit". Then I read about the inner dam, and thought about that cheap fabric piece that I slip over my head from the front before I slip the hood over from the back and how I feel water rush in the sides of the hood and down my chest and the lightbulb came on. I just might get myself a new semi-dry suit without a hood and get a separate hood.
With a good freediving suit, the face seal has smooth rubber and seals well, so there is no significant leakage down the neck. Freedive hoods generally seal so well that the diver often needs to peel back the face seal a tiny bit and allow some water in the hood in order to prevent an external ear squeeze associated with air trapped on the outside of the ear drum. This is only needed once at the start of the dive.

It is my understanding that most scuba suits don’t seal as well making this step unnecessary.

oh, sorry. Translation issue.
Suits are great, quality is phenomenal, customer service is good. Can't beat them, especially if you're over there.

@cerich just came out with a badass suit that probably would have kept me on this side of the pond though. Haven't dove one yet, just done a lot of touchy/feely with it, but for $500 on the 7mm I suspect that's going to be the suit to beat

Hi T-Bone, any details about the manufacturer of this suit or other info?

@cerich just came out with a badass suit that probably would have kept me on this side of the pond though.

At first I thought @tbone1004 was adding his own description of the suit, but after checking the website, apparently "badass" is an official feature of the suit!

@cerich or @LandonL will have to answer those. Unfortunately don't have one yet, so haven't dug into it that deep. What I have seen is very similar to their regulators and fins. They went out and found/developed a suit that is uncompromising in value and quality and are selling it at a reasonable price. Can't argue with that

Hi @guyharrisonphoto

We recently released our 3mm and 7mm full wetsuits, which we have been designing for over a year. We used one of the largest suppliers in the world, and when we finished with our final product they told us we have created the most expensive suit they have ever produced (cost wise, not what we charge you).

A couple of the features of the 3mm and 7mm suits:

Hermetic sealing - makes the stitching watertight
Padded interior - extra comfort and warmth
Reinforced seam joints - each seam joint has a reinforcing patch at the seam corners
Kevlar reinforced wear areas - knees, shoulders, and crotch all have kevlar in the padding to improve durability
Ankle/Wrist gaskets - help seal in the suit
Ankle/Wrist zips (7mm only) - to ease don/doffing
Reflective wrist patches - to signal at night if needed
No slip patch for wrist slate/compass/computer
Double pockets standard - we have two pockets, angled slightly forward for a more natural position
Each pocket has bungee loops to hold items, and they are collapsable and easy to use, even with a gloved hand.

More information is available here: Thermal
Sort of interview I did with Chris here: Neoprene is in! New products have arrived and are ready to ship! | Deep Thoughts

Cheers,
Landon

Hi @guyharrisonphoto

We recently released our 3mm and 7mm full wetsuits, which we have been designing for over a year. We used one of the largest suppliers in the world, and when we finished with our final product they told us we have created the most expensive suit they have ever produced (cost wise, not what we charge you).

A couple of the features of the 3mm and 7mm suits:

Hermetic sealing - makes the stitching watertight
Padded interior - extra comfort and warmth
Reinforced seam joints - each seam joint has a reinforcing patch at the seam corners
Kevlar reinforced wear areas - knees, shoulders, and crotch all have kevlar in the padding to improve durability
Ankle/Wrist gaskets - help seal in the suit
Ankle/Wrist zips (7mm only) - to ease don/doffing
Reflective wrist patches - to signal at night if needed
No slip patch for wrist slate/compass/computer
Double pockets standard - we have two pockets, angled slightly forward for a more natural position
Each pocket has bungee loops to hold items, and they are collapsable and easy to use, even with a gloved hand.

More information is available here: Thermal
Sort of interview I did with Chris here: Neoprene is in! New products have arrived and are ready to ship! | Deep Thoughts

Cheers,
Landon
They look nice! What zipper is on the back and is there a skin seal underneath? Also, is there a neck skin seal? Would like to see some photos of the neck seal area. What neoprene is used--super stretch or low compression/nitrogen blown?

Back
Top Bottom