Help on my first DIY Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jacob,

It's your second link. The plate is called the Argonaut Universal Back Plate for Double Hose Regulators. It sells for $65. You can click on a radio button and add a harness too unless if you want.

Good advice from Couv on the backplate etc (as usual).
Personally I have found that the Argonaut BP with a harness set up for double hose requires a bit of component adjustment each time its used for a single hose reg to re-position the tank. The double hose regulator requires the tank to be position very low to get the reg can between the shoulder blades and with most common tank types (think AL80) this messes with my trim and makes me feet heavy- an annoyance when I have to get in amongst the reef for video without touching anything.
I recommend that you look at the Divegear Express webbing- I have tried quite a few different webbing types over the years and it is by far the best combination of supple yet not flaccid.
Also, consider putting two weight pockets (5lb) on the top tank band so that they fit snuggly at the sides next to the wing, they are great for putting a few trim weights in and all that I use when the water is warm. If you buy a stainless steel pate (instead of AL) you may not need these.
I like to put a chest strap on my rig, especially with a DH reg it helps since the upper harness close to the body and doesn’t affect the integrity of a one piece harness.
Lastly, the width of the crotch strap doesn’t seem to matter much but get soft and supple webbing for this or it will chaff if you get the chance to do some diving without a wetsuit (one of life’s simple pleasures!).

Good advice from Couv on the backplate etc (as usual)
Lastly, the width of the crotch strap doesn’t seem to matter much but get soft and supple webbing for this or it will chaff if you get the chance to do some diving without a wetsuit (one of life’s simple pleasures!).

The 2" Dive Rite crotch strap is just right. The skinnier ones could be okay if you're used to wearing thongs...........Goldilocks:).

I use the 2" padded crotch strap from DR for my drysuit diving. For warm water shallow reef diving, I have a plate with a Zeagle Split Saddle Strap rigged on it. My wife's and daughters plates use them too (all conditions), and like them very much.

YMMV

Interesting ….
I use and have used a crotch strap for many years 1/2 inch - non official appearing -- bright yellow polyproline line attached with a bolt snap.as a crotch strap.. but I am a man of the west... where diving began

The Vintage Double Hose back plate is nothing more than a slightly up dated version-- a modern copy -almost an exact copy -- of the 1950s Sea Craft back pack (as back plates were formerly known )

The original was offered in three different configurations for a singe tank, a double tank and a triple tank. I used the double configuration for 50 or mire years in the double configuration to contain the US Divers 44s.

After I purchased my first one I made three more and a number of smaller ones for my children as they were growing from aluminum plates which I obtained from a salvage yard

So become a DIY member -- make your own

A Saturday Cheers from a very sunny and warm CenCal -- were it all began

Sam Miller, III

cc

@jamesbond

@kgdiver

As with most things in life, it depends. For Midwest diving, I find a SS plate works best for me. But I also prefer quick releases (below the sternum strap and d rings) due to shoulder injuries. I, personally, have no use for an AL backplate. Having said that, all of my diving is in the Midwest with a drysuit. So really, to my way of thinking, it depends on what you do and where you do it.

Lobo.

I'm from the midwest also, almost every dive will be head to toe 7mm or dry suit when I get one. Thanks for the Ideas everyone.

Personally I prefer a Velcro quick-release on the left shoulder strap over all the other choices because it is very flat and smooth.

Could You please describe that Velcro quick-release in more detail? Any pictures?

Peep

Could You please describe that Velcro quick-release in more detail? Any pictures?

Peep

Since everything is black it might be difficult to see the details, but it's simply approximately 4" of Velcro Hook and 4" of Loop, folded over so it sticks together. On the other strap is a Tri-bar which is sewn together. I made this particular quick-release. First I "sewed" the tri-bar end together with a cable tie (threaded in and out of the holes) because I thought my wimpy sewing machine would not handle it, but it turned out to be fairly easy to sew. This should be situated on the straps right about where a D-ring might go but I don't like D-rings on the inflator hose side. Also pictured is my Velcro inflator hose holder. It's simply about 8" of loop and 3 1/2" of hook with a ring sewn onto the loop end. This works better than any other inflator hose holder I've ever used. If it's in the down position you can easily raise the inflator hose to deflate and it's very easy to slide it back down to keep it from flopping around. The Velcro quick release has been around since the 60s, and maybe even earlier. I have used them extensively and have never had a failure

. 20181031_154009.jpg 20181031_154104.jpg 20181031_154115.jpg 20181031_153914.jpg 20181031_153853.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom