Power Scuba 10 Year Anniversary!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power Scuba

Supreme Benchwarmer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
TEN YEARS AGO today I pressed the button that would create a tributary in the course of my life. That newly created group started with a simple set of premises:
  • A dive club/org needed to be fully non-profit
  • No-profit events & full transparency would attract people
  • The events needed to be fun and tailored to the membership
  • Safety needed to be emphasized
  • New/inexperienced members needed to know they were valued
  • The environment needed to be held as important

We've strove to achieve and uphold those cornerstones and want to thank all of you for believing in us. Even more we want to thank those of you who've supported us, whether with your time, energy, enthusiasm, or $$ backing. It all made/makes a difference.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention our amazing list of Sponsors: Huish Outdoors (Atomic, Suunto, et al), BAE Systems, Northrop Grumman, Hartman Law, Point Loma Children's Dentistry, Payment Logistics, 7-up, Whitcraft Engineering, Whitcraft Learning Solutions, & Doug Baxter. Additionally, we give thanks for all the Sponsors we've had in the past.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention our loyal Organizers. This all-volunteer force of scuba enthusiasts give of their time and energy to putting on events and supporting our good work. HUGE thanks to them!

We now stand at 4,300 members and I can't help wondering what the next ten years hold for us. Thanks for coming along on the ride!

Come help us continue the celebration:

Gratefully yours,

Bill Powers & the Power Scuba Staff & Board

Congratulations on making the 10-year mark. Judging from online mentions over the years, you guys are well-known and enjoy a strong reputation in your area. Since that kind of success may inspire some to consider the old saying that 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' elsewhere, care to share how many people are actively involved in running the club, and how much work is involved roughly? Just curious (on behalf of people who might do such a thing, definitely not me) how big a project something like is to take on.

Richard.

Thanks, Rich. The org is indeed limited by the amount of time the all-volunteer staff is able to give toward the effort. Even so, we manage to do a lot. 4,300 members. 1,960 events over the ten years. A million three in revenue brought in... though, of course, most of that went right back out again to pay our various vendors (no-profit boats, overseas trips, etc).

We have 21 Organizers on paper, each with their own specialty (shore dives, social events, PR/Marketing, etc). I always tell them: Only do what you can do for us COMFORTABLY and don't burn out. We'd rather have you as a regular (non-staff) member than not at all.

The formula is rather simple, but hard to replicate, I've observed. I've listed the cornerstones/tenets of our foundation above in the OP. Really, I think MOST dive clubs/orgs ought to embrace those. It's been an interesting ride.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom