Visibility at Comal River this Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My bet is no, especially downstream of Prince Solms where the big stream empties in a lot of mud.

Although I have not been to the river since the rains started, the rain has been so persistent that it is highly unlikely the river will look any better than chocolate milk. Also, rain is forecast for Friday and Saturday, perhaps not as much as earlier in the week, but I would not even drive the 30 minutes from my house to try to dive the Comal River this week, much less from Laredo.

My wife and I did a night dive on the comal the end of last month (the 25th) - it was after the 2 weeks of raining. The river was over the sidewalk in places along Hinman Island park. The visibility was around 3-5 feet - temp was actually pretty decent (high 60s; low 70s) considering how much rain. My wife said the combination low vis and night was very disorienting. My guess is the vis will be about the same; so not great.

My wife and I ended up going Sunday - the vis was in the 5-10 feet range - definitely not the clearest I've seen; but still fun. if the rain stays away for the rest of the week this next weekend it should be pretty clear; and with a lack of tubers it shouldn't get as bad as it does late afternoon.

My wife and I ended up going Sunday - the vis was in the 5-10 feet range - definitely not the clearest I've seen; but still fun. if the rain stays away for the rest of the week this next weekend it should be pretty clear; and with a lack of tubers it shouldn't get as bad as it does late afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom