50 hr flight to/from Sorong - I must be crazy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There used to be these things called "books" that people used to "read". ha ha Those days are so quaint. I have heard that they even had these "book" thingies with words that rhymed!

People used to be so craaaazy!

- Bill

I sure hope you’re right!

I’m secretly planning a Bali dive trip already for 2019. I figured flights there would be just a bit easier. :wink:

My husband thinks we’re “sticking” to an easy and direct 4 - 5 hour flight to somewhere in the Caribbean.

If you are going all the way to Bali I would suck it up and get to Raja Ampat. Bali diving is surprisingly good, and Bali topside has a lot to offer -- but Raja diving beats Bali diving to a pulp IMHO.

- Bill

My last trip to Bali was 36 hours in total each way (I went UK via Amsterdam, then Singapore and Denpasar). I play chess and also card games on the flight on a laptop to pass the time, and chat to any one nice - the time soon goes in holiday mode.
I wish you hadn't said that, Bill. As we both know the PB dives in Bali that's going to force me now to R4 this Dec/Jan - I'd better add space invaders to my laptop.

That's the nice thing about living in Dubai, Bali is a mere 8hrs, the Maldives 4 (easy for a long weekend)

Those Europeans who I meet on holiday and who are staging home via Dubai are always upset when they realise that before they get to their connecting flight, I'll be home, showered and tucked up in bed asleep.

My smugness will be short lived as I want to Dive the Cocos Islands, and that is a trek - even at the front (or the top deck *sigh*)

It is an Indonesian non-stop for Batik as they pick up and drop off passengers quickly before continuing on. I had a good laugh on Batik’s non-stop. :)

my personal experience : January this year I flew Batiq Air ID-7796 from Sorong ( H 16:40 ) to Jakarta ( H 19:00) really non stop ... !!

Your not crazy, it's so worth it. When I travel to SEA I try and amortize all that travel time by staying as long as possible.

I usually time my time from my door to my arrival at the final destination. My average is about 36 hours from the west coast. But it's so worth it. The wife and I did quite a few trips to SEA before I was a diver, and she arrives and sleeps for 8 hours while I wander about. Nowadays she really doesn't want to travel all that way so I take solo trips. I barely sleep on the plane and then it takes me 2 weeks to reset my body clock! Luckily at home I don't sleep much or else I might be a wreck, but the first week I have a beer or two before dinner, then one or two after then I grab a few hours sleep before I wake at 2am and can't get back to sleep.

This year no SEA trips for me just a quick flight to San Diego a 2 hour bus ride then a short 24 hour boat ride to Guadeloupe Island to dive with Great White Sharks! It's only 3 days in the water so I hope it will be worth it.

@Dogbowl just out of curiosity, is your YYZ to HKG leg on Cathay Pacific? (That is one of the routes I am looking at for a trip to the Maldives next fall.)

No matter who you are flying with, for that leg, it might be worth it to upgrade to Premium Economy. Probably not worth the cost to upgrade for the entire trip, but that is a very long flight and the comfort and additional leg room may be worth the extra cost.

@Dogbowl just out of curiosity, is your YYZ to HKG leg on Cathay Pacific? (That is one of the routes I am looking at for a trip to the Maldives next fall.)

No matter who you are flying with, for that leg, it might be worth it to upgrade to Premium Economy. Probably not worth the cost to upgrade for the entire trip, but that is a very long flight and the comfort and additional leg room may be worth the extra cost.

@Hoag , we are flying AC using points. Cathay Pacific would be my first choice because the flight starts past midnight so you basically board and sleep and by the time you get up, the flight is pretty much over. Then there’s a Cathay Pacific flight to Jakarta that’s a pretty decent connection.

Next time I’ll take Cathay instead. I’ve tried the premium economy once and depending on the price it is worth it. When I was pricing it out this time, it was $2400CAD and only for the YYZ to HKG leg. I didn’t think it was worth it this time. Last time I paid $1800.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom