Becoming a Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was an enlisted Navy diver before it became a primary rating. Here is the training schedule for the ND ratings:
  • Scuba, 25 training days
  • Second Class Diver, 89 training days
  • First Class Diver, 65 training days
Diver training is in Panama City Florida. I'm not sure if they are fully operational after Hurricane Michael at this point.

I recommend that you don't trust anything that a recruiter for any service says and read an enlistment contract very carefully -- particular attention to clauses like "subject to the needs of the Navy". There's a good chance a recruiter will steer you toward OCS (Officer Candidate School) since you have a bachelors. Ask questions like are there any pre-enlistment approvals for the ND rating and how may billets are open for NDs for E2 and up.

IF you are still interested, take the time to visit NDSTC (Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center) if you can arrange a tour. Find out what are the favored diver bars, buy a few drinks, and ask lots of questions. Expect a ration of crap but hang in there until you find people that will open up. Someone will take you under their wing once they see that you are serious and not some weekend scuba diver.

Look through the Commercial Divers forum here on ScubaBoard. Commercial diving is much different than the Navy but will give you a flavor of work underwater.

Questions:
  • How are your mechanical skills?
  • Do you have any work experience in construction and/or manufacturing?
  • Are you a certified recreational diver now?
There may be some other avenues into diving school, including EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) and the CBs. The vast majority of newer NDs (the rating) work in ship's husbandry. Have you looked at any of the videos on YouTube (search: us navy diving school)?

Thank you for considering serving your country.

You should probably get updated recruiting information from someone who has enlisted within the last few years. I have two kids who both enlisted 3 yrs ago and can tell you that a lot has changed. I am no expert, but can tell you what I learned from two people who both looked into spec ops programs, of which I believe Navy diver is included. From my best understand.. if you qualify for a rate, ie GED, vision, medical etc, you can get a contract for a rate, and while you DEP, you can work out with a group of spec ops candidates with the purpose of working to qualify for the physical requirements. My kids we’re looking specifically at EOD, Rescue Diver and Diver options, but ended up following other options.

I seriously looked at enlisting in the Navy way back in ‘95 and was told then you had to enlist first and then get selected for those type of programs. So I am pretty sure things are different today,

It was also my experience that Navy recruiters were nothing but honest and up front with both of my kids. I am sure that some have had issues, but I can tell you they are not all bad. One recruiter in particular worked really hard to help my kid make a good decision, and they still keep in touch today, a couple years later.

These two, Jeff Nichols and Stew Smith, do coaching for Spec Ops candidates, and more generally 'Tactical Athletes', like fire fighters etc. They're an ex-enlisted and an ex-officer and seem to have their heads on straight. Part of the discussion is often about the DEP program. If Navy Divers are also covered by DEP, their sites or discussions may be of help. They have many discussion video on youtube.

But I would echo that something like NFO would have more post Navy opportunities, and others thanks for your interest in serving in the military.

Edit: As Akimbo mentions below, Navy Diver and SO are different. But mental, diet, and injury or wear and tear issues of training are broadly applicable, beyond any DEP details. They had a video talking about DEP, that I can't find. The link below talks about being ready for the recruiter to put you in the program you want, with focus on the SO issues, but if you translate it a bit to Navy Diver it may still apply.

To be clear, NDs (Navy Diver) are very different than SOs (Special warfare Operator). The vast majority of work done by NDs is surface-supplied air and working on ships and dock facilities.

SOs are SEALs. SEAL training begins with BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL) in Coronado California. I understand that they are building a new base farther south on the Silver Strand.

You're talking pilot. The earlier poster was talking NFO (Naval Flight Officer). Not the same thing.

Do research on the differences, OP. One plus on NFO is a shorter service commitment.
You're right . My mistake. Still, though...why not be a pilot?

You're right . My mistake. Still, though...why not be a pilot?

Just be honest with yourself (OP) about your aptitude and drive. You wash out of flight school (many people do).... there's no telling what field you could get shuffled into based upon the needs of the Navy.

Ryan, try this link https://www.public.navy.mil/necc/Pages/ContactDiverRecruiter.aspx. With Navy Diver, EOD, SWCC, and SEAL their own rates now, you specifically enter the Navy with a contract for them (I did say contract, not a guarantee for graduating from the aforementioned programs!) Your recruiter should be able to refer you in the right direction for this. I also believe it's a 6 year contract for any of those rates.

Just be honest with yourself (OP) about your aptitude and drive. You wash out of flight school (many people do).... there's no telling what field you could get shuffled into based upon the needs of the Navy.

Washing out of any highly compeditive and technical job in the Navy is quite possible, I'd advise that washing out and being an officer is better than washing out as a seaman.

Bob
ET1(SS) RO

Washing out of any highly compeditive and technical job in the Navy is quite possible, I'd advise that washing out and being an officer is better than washing out as a seaman.

Bob
ET1(SS) RO

Agreed.

I had a buddy that enlisted with a bachelor's degree. Op...unless you've got no student loan debt, you might want to think twice on that.

Back
Top Bottom