(Wet)Boot selection/sizing and under-socks for use with new AL Fusion Aircore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an AL Fusion Tech Aircore on order and am looking at boot options. I'm not particularly enamored with the AL detachable boots as a concept, as I think it will complicate doffing if sized to fit my foot snugly for good finning and limiting floaty feet. Also looking for a minimal increase in foot-pocket size, so I can hopefully use the same fins, dry or wet. (no Rock boots or lace ups for me at this point)

So: looking at wetboot options ...

In my searching, @stuartv and @tbone1004 seem to really like the NRS Paddle boots from REI. I also have wider feet that they suggest are a good match for these boots, and am extremely fortunate to have 2 REIs, each about 20min away. So will be checking them out - called and one stores has +1 and +2 over my normal/nominal shoe size (9).

I also will be pouring over the selection at my LDS, but in-stock sizing is hit or miss in the middle range and add wider than average foot shape and there is no guarantee I'll hit.

Use will be for season extension in the Northeast (Dutch Springs in PA) for now so water temps say 50+

That all said:
1) Are there other specific boot options I need to consider?

2) Are 75% wool medium-weight hiking socks a good choice for those temps? Should I be adding liner socks too?

3) What size over my nominal (barefoot) size should I allow for under-socks and the Fusion suit socks?

Thanks for the help!

Before I bought my NRS booties, I waited until I got my drysuit. I took my drysuit and the thickest socks I anticipate wearing under it to REI. I put the socks on and put my feet in the drysuit feet and then tried the NRS booties on over that. No reason to guesstimate when there is an REI that close by (to me, as to you).

That said, I wear size 10.5 shoes. Sometimes 11, depending. My feet are actually pretty narrow. But, with socks and drysuit sockfeet, it seems like that makes my feet disproportionately wide. Anyway, I ended up with size 12 NRS booties. That is for a suit with compressed neoprene socks.

I previously bought ScubaPro booties to fit over the socks on my other drysuit. With those, I had to go with size 13 to have adequate width (at the expense of being a bit too long). Also, that suit has non-compressed 5mm neoprene socks.

Just FYI.

Finally, you could also try Converse Chuck Taylors. It seems a lot of people like those over the drysuit socks.

For temps of 50-60, I would probably be wearing 1 heavyweight wool sock on each foot. Above 60, 1 thin wool sock. In other words, while I cannot really predict your cold tolerance, I would say a good mediumweight wool sock is a good place to start, for your anticipated conditions. But, for trying stuff on, I would go with a really thick/heavy sock or a medium plus a thin sock under that.

Thanks Stuart!

The time from receipt of suit to first use may end up fairly tight, so I'm trying to do my research in advance. Obviously, try on in store is "best", but if there are no better suggestions for boots, I may just pop down and pick up pairs of +1 and +2 sized NRSs, so I can take my time experimenting at home with combinations of socks, fins, and boot sizes.

I've heard about the whole chucks thing ... I don't really feel like trying to pull-on, pull-off, and lace-up a wet high-top sneaker while wearing a drysuit. Also, neoprene booties add thermal protection and cushioning from the fin pockets/straps.

As a reference In my Henderson Goldcore 7/5 with 5mm hood, gloves, and AL boots,, I could handle the 50deg bottom temp for about 20-30min, then I was getting pretty cold, not so much feet, but core, face and minor numbing but not discomfort in my hands.

What I was really hoping was to confirm the +1 to +2 sizes as rational, along with the mid-weight socks as a reasonable first approximation with neoprene booties.

Yes, I would expect +1 or +2 to be "right". But, hard to say which, so buying both, trying, and then returning 1 pair oughta get you where you want to be. Hopefully, you won't find that the perfect size for you is exactly halfway in between... ;-)

Hopefully, you won't find that the perfect size for you is exactly halfway in between... ;-)
That is always the way it works for me ... :(

The nice thing about this part of going dry is that it is relatively cheap. So round 2 won't be so painful. :D

if you have wide feet there is no point in bothering with Chucks. Too narrow and no wide option.

As far as socks, any hiking socks are fine, but I prefer most of it as merino wool. Keeps your feet dry and warm. The NRS boots provide quite a bit of insulation so you may not need that much in the form of socks

In my Fusion I wear Merino wool base socks then a pair of Akona Full foot fin neoprene socks and finally size 11 Pinnacle wetsuit booties. I normally wear a 9.5-10 shoe.. This works like a champ and keeps air out of my feet.

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 9.09.56 PM.png

Thanks all!

No luck at my LDS stock at the moment. All variants of stock on hand were too long/narrow in the needed size.
I picked up a set of NRSs in 10s. They seemed a good fit with my test set of super-heavy sock and sock liner with enough space for the suit socks. Correctly proportioned for my foot shape. I do wish they had more instep wear protection - I'm a little concerned about durability where the fin foot-pocket will rub.

@Doby45 How is the shape on the Pinnacles, wide or narrow?

Thanks all!

No luck at my LDS stock at the moment. All variants of stock on hand were too long/narrow in the needed size.
I picked up a set of NRSs in 10s. They seemed a good fit with my test set of super-heavy sock and sock liner with enough space for the suit socks. Correctly proportioned for my foot shape. I do wish they had more instep wear protection - I'm a little concerned about durability where the fin foot-pocket will rub.

@Doby45 How is the shape on the Pinnacles, wide or narrow?

I would say they are a tad wider than "normal" but I would not call them wides. Comfy booties though.. And I have kinda wide Flintstone feet too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom