Are quick release weight systems mandatory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently bought a Travelpac BCD by Dive Rite, and I'm looking into the different options of weight pockets. I dive with only 4-6 lbs, so I'm considering one of the travel weight pocket options. It seems important that they have a quick release system in case of an emergency, but I'm wondering whether or not it is mandatory to wear ditchable weights.

If mandatory, who would enforce it? But aside from it being a good idea to have for yourself, you might just run into a crew or an operator somewhere that notices and feels your non-ditchable system is a liability for them, and decide to speak up.

If I am happy and confident I can swim up without a bcd at any time during the dive and maintain myself floating on the surface I am comfortable without any weight to drop quickly.

I dive a backplate and don't need any additional weight. A lot of people are like this. I'm not going to go in overweighted and keep a bunch of air in my wing just so I can drop lead on the bottom.

Uh-oh.

the-can-of-worms-has-been-opened_o_1063602.jpg

I think most arguments around ditchable weight has been covered several times here: Question about “balanced rigs” and having all ballast unditchable

define mandatory.... that said - your signature says Divemaster Candidate. As a divemaster, students are going to look at you and do what you do.

says Divemaster Candidate
Actually it's more concerning as his profile states Divemaster/DSD leader!

At the OP:

At your level, you should know this and have a good understanding. However in the spirit of helpfulness...

You Know (or should) that the amount of lead you need is there to offset the buoyancy of you, your equipment and your exposure suit.

So this means at the end of a dive, with minimum gas in your tank you should be neutral with no or little air in yoru BCD.

If you are wearing a thick exposure suit, then this will compress at depth losing it's buoyancy. Thus in the event of a loss of buoyancy (BCD failure, or perhaps OOA requiring you to become slightly positive, you need some method of removing enough weight to allow you to initiate a safe positive ascent.

If however you are divign in the tropics with just a rash vest and board shorts, you have no exposure suit compression and thus it's likely you wouldn't need to ditch weights - although being able to ditch a little has some benefit

The decision as to how you achieve this is entirely up to you.

That said, given that you're a DSD leader and a DM and may be demonstrating skills, you should ensure you can use similar equipment to your students for weight ditch and removal.

May I also respectfully suggest you have another look at teh Encyclopedia of Recreational diving, which will cover this in detail

Back
Top Bottom