LP95 or even LP108 for Sidemount Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a lot for the great responses! :)

I have just updated my post on the cylinder's characteristics to add the Worthington Lp108 and to prevent others from making the same mistake I did, when I confused the -/+ sign change between full and empty cylinders... :/

So based on @kelemvor post, Worthington LP108s look like a good choice for me since I dive in drysuit with a good wing on my sidemount vest.

One last question, is going from 7" diameter (LP85) to 8" (all the others) a big step up? Doesn't seem to me but since I've never tried, I figured I would ask? :wink:

A side note on Worthington tanks. IMO they're the best you can get, but Worthington is not making new scuba tanks. They shut down their scuba tank manufacturing facility and I think I heard they actually destroyed the equipment. You can still get them sometimes. Maybe even new if they've been in a store's inventory for a while.

One last question, is going from 7" diameter (LP85) to 8" (all the others) a big step up? Doesn't seem to me but since I've never tried, I figured I would ask? :wink:
It doesn't "look" that big. But it means your tanks won't fit in tank holders on most boats. If that's the case, you just stow the tanks on their side on the deck. Some but not all boats have at least a handful of holders that can accommodate 8" tanks. Not much of an issue for sidemount, as I don't use the regular tank holders when sidemounting anyway. When I book a ride and bring my tanks, I always tell the operation I'm bringing the 8" tanks well in advance. I've never had a boat op refuse, and it's never been a problem. If you're diving with an op that specializes in tech, they won't bat an eye no matter what you bring.

I will say that, to me, the 8" tanks feel bigger...and I'm a big/tall guy at 6'6". Especially with the Faber 85s being 7.0" instead of the 7.25" standard diameter.

IMO, 8" tanks are only worth getting if you're diving an LP108 or bigger.

They are noticeably fatter under your arms to me, but I'm 5'9" and about 155lb with a 40" chest so 2x 108s are pretty big on me compared to 2x hp100s. or 85s.
And honestly the 108s are ghastly heavy with nitrox, keep them as trimix tanks and they'll be ok.

Nice Post Caissy
Guys do you think for a trimix dive at 200-220 feets , sidemount is a good tool?!

I am not trimix certified yet... i don’t dive deeper than 150 right now , but i sm planing to add helium next summer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom