Cell transportation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
20181014_144639.jpg

The cell OD matches the ID of my custom silicone shock absorption modules which will be wrapped in a t-shirt.

Anything better, compact and adequate that's likely at hand? How do normal people transport cells outside of the rebreather?

Carry on bag and space is heavily limited this year with more cave gear. Could just wrap them in foam and put them in a cardboard box as I usually do if this is a horrible idea.

Cameron

I don't take mine out of the unit. Honestly I don't see a reason to do so.

I don't take mine out of the unit. Honestly I don't see a reason to do so.

Likewise when possible.

In this situation the rebreather isn't travelling with me as I'm switching between units.

We used to store them in a shop-made PVC pipe canister when we went in for a yard period or off-contract for any period of time. It held about 30 but you could make a short version for 3 cells. We had the pure Nitrogen so purged the tube before capping. Definitely keep your new cells in the sealed plastic bag from the factory but it worked great for cells that were open and then stored for a while.

I think I'd cast something out of rubber as opposed to mouthpieces. Then you can be sure you can protect the contacts. While the cell body should be find with the mouthpiece protection, I would worry about snapping off the leads if they were just tossed in your luggage like that. In which case, I think I'd probably just throw all 3 in the box for one cell. There should be enough room, and it would be an overall smaller package.

I have a little plastic box that I have stored mine in, like a tiny pelican case. But I have molex connectors which aren't exposed like that. I would still use a small plastic box and fill up the remaining space with a half dozen packing peanuts. Do not use the dissolvable ones, they turn to glue when wet.

Are those pins sensitive to static electricity? I always assume stuff like that is. Maybe not if pvc pipes and packing peanuts are being used for storage.

Are those pins sensitive to static electricity? I always assume stuff like that is. Maybe not if pvc pipes and packing peanuts are being used for storage.
they are tiny electrochemical batteries. so no they are not sensitive to static charges or even to being "shorted" out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom