Diving in Bali in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet another woke diver after LDR. Night dives do get more fun as you get more experience but if you are seeing as much as you did you can get worn out before it gets dark! We head back to LDR next week. If you get a chance to "pop over" from CGK look us up, we're there until 11/9. Can't wait. Soto ayam at Wayan's and a great view. Oh yeah, whole lotta great diving too. Glad you enjoyed your stay. // ww
View from upstairs at Wayan's:
upload_2018-10-15_7-55-15.png

FWIW, there's a new restaurant in Tulamben called Chops and Hops located inside SunDive resort (in front of Dive Concept, perpendular street to the main road Mt.Agung side). Martin the cook is german, every thing there is good, I can't recommend it enough : they have excellent sirloin from Oz for a change, and apple cake to die for.

This is a welcome addition to Tulamben food scene which was becoming really depressing.

Thanks for the trip report Clara. I haven't even been to Bali yet and already I'm pretty certain I'll never be going to the Caribbean again.

I had to google half the stuff you mentioned and I'm glad you brought up frogfish because they've been at the top of my list ever since watching Sea of Creepy Monsters a couple of years ago. Yea, I know Bali is supposed to be all about the Mola Molas and Mantas but my list of things I want to see is expanding faster than I can keep track of.

Night diving takes a little getting used to you might want to try taking two lights next time, worked for me.

Nice to know about Chops and Hops, thanks Luko. Wayan's is more about the view (well, plus it is quieter being above street level) but it sounds like some serious chow has hit Tulamben, will have to give them a try. // ww

My first night dive was also at the Liberty Wreck in Bali. I still vividly remember surfacing on a absolutely black night (no moon) and the milky way was absolutely brilliant. We had seen a massive spanish dancer, which was a good distraction, as I had been completely and utterly **** scared. I now love night dives, but as someone else mentioned, having two lights can be reassuring, and experience over time will make you less anxious. Usually night dives tend to be somewhere the DM has been diving with you before, or a simple shallow-ish dive.

I would recommend leaving the camera behind for a number of dives- until you really get comfortable. Also maybe get a stick or one of those shaker things to get your DM's attention more easily. Even now if a dive sounds currenty or challenging I leave the camera behind, and I'm 300+ dives in.

maat1976

Yet another woke diver after LDR. Night dives do get more fun as you get more experience but if you are seeing as much as you did you can get worn out before it gets dark! We head back to LDR next week. If you get a chance to "pop over" from CGK look us up, we're there until 11/9. Can't wait. Soto ayam at Wayan's and a great view. Oh yeah, whole lotta great diving too. Glad you enjoyed your stay. // ww
View from upstairs at Wayan's:
View attachment 484476
I'm back in Bali on the 9th Nov but Padangbai. Don't think I'll get a chance to come back over before then sadly. I did pop into Wayan's for a drink and a look at the view - wonderful!

FWIW, there's a new restaurant in Tulamben called Chops and Hops located inside SunDive resort (in front of Dive Concept, perpendular street to the main road Mt.Agung side). Martin the cook is german, every thing there is good, I can't recommend it enough : they have excellent sirloin from Oz for a change, and apple cake to die for.

This is a welcome addition to Tulamben food scene which was becoming really depressing.

I saw this and thought it looked good but had already eaten. Will bear it in mind for next time though. :)

My first night dive was also at the Liberty Wreck in Bali. I still vividly remember surfacing on a absolutely black night (no moon) and the milky way was absolutely brilliant. We had seen a massive spanish dancer, which was a good distraction, as I had been completely and utterly **** scared. I now love night dives, but as someone else mentioned, having two lights can be reassuring, and experience over time will make you less anxious. Usually night dives tend to be somewhere the DM has been diving with you before, or a simple shallow-ish dive.

I would recommend leaving the camera behind for a number of dives- until you really get comfortable. Also maybe get a stick or one of those shaker things to get your DM's attention more easily. Even now if a dive sounds currenty or challenging I leave the camera behind, and I'm 300+ dives in.
maat1976

Keep your light on until you get picked up -- meaning hanging on the boat line or actually in the boat. But be careful to not shine it in anyone's eyes!

Indo DMs are great, but the habits of "safety first" are simply not there in Indo for the most part.

- Bill

Thanks for the trip report Clara. I haven't even been to Bali yet and already I'm pretty certain I'll never be going to the Caribbean again.

I had to google half the stuff you mentioned and I'm glad you brought up frogfish because they've been at the top of my list ever since watching Sea of Creepy Monsters a couple of years ago. Yea, I know Bali is supposed to be all about the Mola Molas and Mantas but my list of things I want to see is expanding faster than I can keep track of.

Night diving takes a little getting used to you might want to try taking two lights next time, worked for me.

I watched that documentary you mentioned - it's fantastic and full of the weirdest creatures! Lembeh is definitely on my list of places to dive. :)
Come and dive in Bali - it's wonderful!

maat1976
Wow that sounds amazing! It's good to hear that you really enjoy night diving now - maybe one day I'll feel more comfortable with it. :) It's interesting to know that night dives normally happen where you've dived with the DM before and makes total sense.
Good advice about leaving the camera behind - I was just over excited! Yes I definitely need to get a shaker thing.

Back
Top Bottom