Anything you don't like about BP/W rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NaCl H2O

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I have a bad case of gearitis and am looking at bp/w's. (who doesn't like gear shopping?)

See tons of pros about them, any cons?

What about storage?
I have items that live in my jacket pockets, gloves, lobster gauge, smb, reel.
Don't always use them but I know they are there.
Little bit of a neat nick, prefer things stowed over dangling.

Thanks for any input.

thigh pockets or add on pockets (butt or waistband) work fine for the loose stuff. i have a 17lbs wing with aluminum plate for single tank travel. never had an issue with it

I use shorts with cargo pockets (ScubaPro) when using a wetsuit and my drysuit has pockets, so never had any issues with storage.

I have some pockets threaded to my waistband, close to the plate. Camera in the right one, other items in my left. I wear i torch in my right D-ring tucked under a rubber band on the shoulder strap.
I have my smb/spool in a pouch clipped of either to the lower left corner of my plate or to my rear D-ring.

Nothing dangling.

I have various options based on what I am diving. Between pocket shorts, on-suit pockets, the DiveRite Thigh Pocket, and harness attachments, danglies are never a problem.

Have you tried one yet? The only con I can think of is if you're one of the few people (like me) who simply doesn't like the rig. It might be worth a test drive just to be sure before you buy, then buy it from the shop that you let you try one, of course.

BP&Wings are fine. I've dove several over a thousand or two dives. I don't dive with one anymore unless I'm diving back mounted doubles. I prefer Sidemount over backmounted doubles but for single tank diving I go with a hybrid: the Zeagle Express Tech. Why, when all of ScubaBoard seems to prefer the BP@Wings, do I prefer the hybrid over BP&Wings? Let's keep this on topic and discuss the shortfalls of BP&Wings.

• Fit
    • BP&Wings are just too stiff. There's simply no give when you're trying to reach the tank behind you.
    • They are finicky and resist adjusting during your dive
  • Ease
    • They are harder to get out of than any other BCD out there.
    • They are finicky to adjust compared to any BCD out there
    • Add fatigue or arthritis and the problems are even worse.
  • Packability
    • They aren't.
    • They are heavier
    • You can't even fold them to fit!
  • Bladder pinches
    • Steel or aluminum backplates can easily cut the internal bladder.
      • A moment of inattention
      • Careless boat crew
    • Unheard of with traditional or hybrid BCDs.

My Express Tech is far superior in most every way. They are rock solid when tightened down, yet are easily adjusted (even during the dive). Because the straps extend easily they are great to get in our out of. Supel light and foldable they are an awesome travel BC.

How do you get a backplate and wing onto an inflatable boat (RIB) do you undo it on the surface keeping your fins and give it to someone on the boat ?

Is it safe to handle when undone or could some of your kit fall ?

Thanks Chairman, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

How do you get a backplate and wing onto an inflatable boat (RIB) do you undo it on the surface keeping your fins and give it to someone on the boat ?

Is it safe to handle when undone or could some of your kit fall ?

You do just thr same way as with a jacket. take it of and hand it to the boat boy who lift it up.

Nothing could fall of my rig, the pockets close well and everything is strapped tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom