DIY drysuit drier blower motor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have finally made the big switch over to diving dry. My first big challenge it that the Florida heat creates quite a bit of dampness in the suit from perspiration. Not a huge issue during the Dive, but I find my suit is not drying out as quick as I would like, and I hate to lay an expensive suit out In the sun to dry.

I found a couple threads on DIY drying racks, but they are too old for SB to allow me to post onto.

My first question is what size blower motor is best? I have seen a couple online. Is 55 CFM going to do the job?

FWIW, I am planning a hanging device that has sort of a pvc hangar extending into the sleeves, with flexible extensions that go down to each leg. I know I will have to experiment with restricting flow into the sleeves to make sure good flow to the legs.

Another idea is to ceiling or wal mount the blower motor with a timer switch, and just use a rubber union to attach the tubes when it's all hooked up.

you should be able to post them, it just warns you that you're reviving an old thread. nothing wrong with that though.

The CFM is going to be dependent on how quick you need to dry it. Easiest way is if you have a 3d printer to make a mount for a computer fan and put a couple of those on there. If not, just get a cheap hairdrier and run it on cool

I made a 'H' out of 2" PVC pipe. 90degree elbow at the top (for the feet), crossbar at crotch height to take the weight, and T pieces on the bottom as feet. Blocked off one end of the 'T' with gaffer tape, made a baffle to direct air flow upwards in the middle of the 'T', then rigged a 40mm fan in each leg. Doesn't create massive airflow, but just a trickle of fresh air that is enough to dry it out over time.

you should be able to post them, it just warns you that you're reviving an old thread. nothing wrong with that though.

The CFM is going to be dependent on how quick you need to dry it. Easiest way is if you have a 3d printer to make a mount for a computer fan and put a couple of those on there. If not, just get a cheap hairdrier and run it on cool

I got a message saying "thread was too old to post replies."

Believe it or not, I don't own a hair dryer and would prefer to use a fan motor designed for continuous duty. And as is my typical approach, I will likely over-engineer this. :)

not so old topics Drying boots of flooded drysuit - solutions? :)
d2935e2356c1-jpg.453766.jpg

4ba50980815b-jpg.453765.jpg

TriDri

I am very happy with my TriDris. Unlike most DIY solutions it is portable and retracts compactly for storage.
The two small USB powered fans dry the suit completely in a few hours and it can be powered with a cheap 6000 mAh powerbank.
A simple desing with many advantages.
Hanging the suit legs up doesn't stress the fabric and seams too much. Small brushless motors don't produce ozone. Timer is not needed, you can just let it run your powerbank empty.

Just my 2 cents. Any fan electric motor MUST be squirrel cage or brushless. Sparks in the collector of a DC electric motor produce ozone, which is harmful for neoprene and rubber in general.
If you are using computer fans, be sure to use AC motors, no DC motor should be used.

Love to see the end result when your done. Just thought I would share a clarification on the last post... definitely want to be careful about ozone. It's the sparks from commutator that generate the ozone. AC / DC is not the important part. Some AC motors have commutator (eg 'universal' motor in a power drill) and some DC motors have no commutators. (eg brushless DC motors in most / probably all computer fans)

Any fan electric motor MUST be squirrel cage or brushless. Sparks in the collector of a DC electric motor produce ozone, which is harmful for neoprene and rubber in general.
Yes, this is important.

If you are using computer fans, be sure to use AC motors, no DC motor should be used.
No, it is not true. All modern computer fans is DC, but brushless :)
It has internal cirquits, based on Hall sensors, and semiconductors switches, that has not sparkling gapes.
HallSwitch.jpg

Most of modern 12v DC fans is safe for rubber.

I wouldn't hang the suit from the suspenders. It isn't designed to take that amount of stress in those areas. You really need to distribute that weight to a larger area
It is not my dryer (I did not use it, I just turning inside out of my dry suit).
I think, that thick gray pipes on "shoulders" used as hanger :) and this is just photo to demonstrate, how to starts to wear this suit on hanger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom