Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukasabs

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello dear forum members!

Me and my best friend are traveling to Thailand in february 2019. We are passionate divers (I am advanced, he is OWD) and therefore also want to explore the colourful underwater world of Thailand. We´ve been thinking of a liveaboard for about 3 days or something, but are flexible. But at the moment we are not sure where to go or what to expect from Thailand´s diving spots.

Most of the liveabords head to the Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock, which are promoted to be some of the best diving spots in the world. Unfortunately, after some research, the Similan Islands´reef seems to be mostly destroyed and the corals are dead due to enormous heat and monsuns in 2010. Furthermore some people reported seeing more other divers than fish there. But the corals seem to have recovered slowly in the last few years… There are so many different opinions and experiences of the Similans, so we are quite confused.

Maybe there are other great spots for diving in Thailand, but I haven´t found any on the Internet - day trips from Ko tao might be an option as well, many diving schools settled there, but that doesn´t ensure for good diving spots.

So, we are very flexible regarding time and location and just want to spend some great days with diving.
Do some of you experienced the circumstances on the Similans? Are they really that bad?
Are the Similans and Richelieu Rock still the best places for diving in Thailand? (I´ve read that Koh Bon and Koh Tachai in the North are still better preserved and worth seeing)
Or do you know other great diving spots I missed out?

Thank you for your support, we are curious about your experiences!
Lukas and Julian

Most liveaboards on the North Andaman route go to Similans, then Koh Boh/Koh Tachai, then Richelieu Rock, then back, so you'll see all three areas.

Regarding corals - I was there in April this year, and while I did see areas where the bottom is covered with dead branching coral, there is plenty of live coral as well. Richelieu Rock had more fish than I saw anywhere else, although, to be fair, I'm a fairly new diver. You can see photos from my trip here and a video (shot by the guides, not me) here.

Note that Similans liveaboards generally require AOWD level certification, as many sites are deeper than OWD limit of 18m/60'.

Koh Tao, by comparison, doesn't have as much marine life, although it's still quite nice. On the other hand, it's one of the least expensive places in the world to dive, and also one of the easiest - there are hardly any currents anywhere around Koh Tao, while Surin islands and Richelieu Rock, being in the open ocean (as opposed to the enclosed Gulf of Thailand) can feature some pretty impressive currents. Since most of the dive sites on Koh Tao are very close to the island, most boats there leave around 6AM, do two dives, come back before noon, swap tanks, go out again, do two more dives in the afternoon, and come back around 5PM, then maybe go out again for a night dive - you can do 4-5 dives a day and still sleep on shore. Accommodation and food is also inexpensive. You can see sample photos, taken in March this year, here.

Last year, I also did a few dives at Koh Rang National Park near Koh Chang, and I was very impressed with the amount of coral there - soft corals of every color imaginable, as far as the eye can see, just covering the sea floor. You can't dive as much there though - the island is big and mountainous, so it can take quite a while to simply reach the docks, then the dive sites are a ways away, so it takes as much time to do a single 2-tank trip as it takes for two of those on Koh Tao.

If you have the time, it might be worthwhile to go to Koh Tao, do some easy diving (and for your friend to get AOWD certified), then take a ferry+bus transfer to Phuket for an Andaman Sea liveaboard.

There are also day trips out of Phuket and Koh Phi Phi, as well as South Andaman liveaboards (Hin Daeng/Hin Mueang area), Koh Lipe, Koh Lanta, Pattaya (if you're looking to party as well as dive), but I don't have personal experience with those.

The Andaman side of Thailand has by far the best diving. And yes, a liveaboard to Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock would be best, preferably 4 days/4 nights or even 5 days/5 nights. 3 days is possible, but will either be rushed or some of the highlights of Thailand diving will be skipped.
The stories you have heard are way, way overdone, the diving there is really good. I don't go there too often myself, but try to do some daytrips and one liveaboard each year, and always enjoy it.

The west is best for diving in Thailand. In addition to checking the liveaboards out for Similans/Richelieu, also have a look at Koh Lanta. It's a great and chilled island, and you can also dive Hin Daeng & Hin Muang from there - two great dive sites. Koh Ha is also a good dive spot very close to Lanta. The Phi Phi sites are also dived from Lanta too.

Hi there - If you are coming to Thailand in February the best scuba diving at that time of year would be in the National Marine Park of Thailand - Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Surin Islands and Richelieu Rock - there are day trip options to here but there is a long transfer time so i would reccomened doing either an overnight trip with 7 dives or a 3 day /2 night trip with 11 dives - if you want to go to Richelieu rock then this is a minimum of 3 days due to the distance of travel but this is by far the best dive site that Thailand has. If the Similans are not what you want there there are day trips with 3 dives going to the surrounding islands of Phuket like Phi Phi and Koh Racha yai. I hope this helps.

Phuket scuba diving

Similan islands

Maybe there are other great spots for diving in Thailand, but I haven´t found any on the Internet - day trips from Ko tao might be an option as well, many diving schools settled there, but that doesn´t ensure for good diving spots.
1. Wrong time of the year(Feb) to dive Koh Tao.
2. Only two good sites around the area: Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail rock, the rest is very very ordinary.

Dunno, I did my AOWD there in Feb'17, and went back again in March this year, and weather was fine both times. My last visit coincided with a full moon and the tides kicked up a lot of silt, so visibility was less than ideal in the beginning, but after a few days it cleared up. West coast was undeniably better, but it's not like Koh Tao was in full monsoon season either.

Dunno, I did my AOWD there in Feb'17, and went back again in March this year, and weather was fine both times. My last visit coincided with a full moon and the tides kicked up a lot of silt, so visibility was less than ideal in the beginning, but after a few days it cleared up. West coast was undeniably better, but it's not like Koh Tao was in full monsoon season either.
Yes, traditionally people say the seasons and best diving times are on opposite times of year.

I don't really believe in that though: diving is possible in both areas year round. But also IMO, diving on the west coast is better year round.

Get your friend Advanced Open Water certified first. Then go on a liveaboard to Similans/Richelieu/Koh Bon/Koh Tachai for at least 4D/4N. Preferably more. Liveaboard is by far the best way to dive in Thailand IMO if you don't have non-divers with you that you have to take care of.
"Thailand-Divers" above is linking to the South Siam Divers boats. I would avoid those. They bring people to and from the liveaboards by speedboat on an overlapping schedule. I have been on one where there were almost 80 divers on the boat at the same time during the day. It was a madhouse.
If it is not possible to get your friend AOW-certified before your trip, this is usually possible on the liveaboard. Be sure to book this in advance.

Back
Top Bottom