Whites Fusion and upgrades?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also followed TSandM's recommendation and went for the Whites Fusion Sport with X-shorts for pockets, and I have been very happy with it so far, very light and comfortable. The skin did start to show signs of wear pretty quickly and my X-shorts are already looking pretty chewed up, but I would not want a heavier skin, I would rather just replace it when the time comes, and the X-shorts are very handy for wetsuit dives as well. I like the replaceable neck and wrist seals, the large rings do not bother me, and are in fact perfect for pull-over dry gloves that fit over merino liner; these are very inexpensive, and have served me well so far in water down to 48F. You may want to have spare gloves, and spare seals, all of which is available at DRIS. I did not like the rock boots, it was impossible to match them in size to my Hollis F1 fins even though I tried a few pairs of each. I was considering rock boots because I was initially having foot pain in the simple fusion boots, and thought I needed something thicker to protect my high instep against the hard fin. But in the end, I just went for the larger fins, and I got used to a less-than-airtight fit of the fin of these somewhat-thin boots. I use MK3 socks, and Thermal Fusion over Underarmor. The suit does get buoyant with thick undergarments, but it is manageable. I have installed the Halcyon P-valve on my own, around $150 or so (plus quick disconnect, gaskets, patch kit, Freedom catheters from surgical supply store, free samples of Rochester Widebands can be ordered over the phone).

I've also had a Fusion since early on, with both the Tech and Bullet skins. I'm on my 3rd skin (2nd Bullet) now... the original Tech skin didn't hold up to (ironically) carrying standard "Tech" crap in the pockets.

I currently dive the Bullet skin with Viking Bayonet Rings/Smurf Gloves, Neoprene Neck Seal, EVO3 boots, Halcyon P-Valve and MK2 and MK3 undergarments. In the middle of winter (36F water temps); I wear the MK2, MK3 and a set of Under Armor Cold Gear 2.0 as a base layer. In summer, just the MK2 and MK3 (around 45F). In warm water I ditch the dry gloves/hood and wear the MK2 only.

I do have a few gripes:

• White's can't sew fabric worth a damn. I've had stitching unravel on all of my skins and on the suit itself (the cuffs). Stitching also failed on the undergarments. It's all fixable; just annoying.
  • The wrists and ankles are also cut too narrow, IMHO, in comparison to the rest of the suit, and I definitely notice it when I have two layers of undergarment on. I don't have bear paw hands/wrists either - I can wear either a medium or large glove.
  • There's also no real good way (that I've found yet) to pass a p-valve through the outer skin of the Bullet; and the Bullet fabric (being neoprene) is going to take a real beating if you use bleach to rinse your p-valve.
  • Pain in the ass to don/doff. I can do the Fusion boogie just fine - but I always get stuck on the damn ankles.

The drycore itself has always kept me dry and it's rugged as all hell. I keep threatening to buy a Santi or a DUI, and while those are both very good suits and would fix my gripes; they aren't $1500 better.

You won't go wrong with a Fusion.

-B

I've also had a Fusion since early on, with both the Tech and Bullet skins. I'm on my 3rd skin (2nd Bullet) now... the original Tech skin didn't hold up to (ironically) carrying standard "Tech" crap in the pockets.

I currently dive the Bullet skin with Viking Bayonet Rings/Smurf Gloves, Neoprene Neck Seal, EVO3 boots, Halcyon P-Valve and MK2 and MK3 undergarments. In the middle of winter (36F water temps); I wear the MK2, MK3 and a set of Under Armor Cold Gear 2.0 as a base layer. In summer, just the MK2 and MK3 (around 45F). In warm water I ditch the dry gloves/hood and wear the MK2 only.

I do have a few gripes:

• White's can't sew fabric worth a damn. I've had stitching unravel on all of my skins and on the suit itself (the cuffs). Stitching also failed on the undergarments. It's all fixable; just annoying.
  • The wrists and ankles are also cut too narrow, IMHO, in comparison to the rest of the suit, and I definitely notice it when I have two layers of undergarment on. I don't have bear paw hands/wrists either - I can wear either a medium or large glove.
  • There's also no real good way (that I've found yet) to pass a p-valve through the outer skin of the Bullet; and the Bullet fabric (being neoprene) is going to take a real beating if you use bleach to rinse your p-valve.
  • Pain in the ass to don/doff. I can do the Fusion boogie just fine - but I always get stuck on the damn ankles.

The drycore itself has always kept me dry and it's rugged as all hell. I keep threatening to buy a Santi or a DUI, and while those are both very good suits and would fix my gripes; they aren't $1500 better.

You won't go wrong with a Fusion.

-B

This modification may help getting your wrists through the sleeves http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...ech-cuff-ring-modification-step-pictures.html

Oh wowza... hell of a mod there Andy. I don't think it'll work with the Viking rings though... OD is too large. Maybe the next time I have the wrist seals replaced, I can have a little bit of the sleeve trimmed off to get the seal glued higher up on the drycore where the diameter is a bit larger.

Oh wowza... hell of a mod there Andy. I don't think it'll work with the Viking rings though... OD is too large. Maybe the next time I have the wrist seals replaced, I can have a little bit of the sleeve trimmed off to get the seal glued higher up on the drycore where the diameter is a bit larger.

No, this is a mod for the factory installed sitech rings. All the mod does is attach the suit material to the outside of the wrist ring instead of the inside.

I just bought a whites fusion tech DryCore, never used 400us$
I wonder approximately which years it have been build, can someone give me A idea? Thank you

I think the DryCore version was introduced within the past 2-3 years.

No, that’s the AirCore. DryCore is the original inner layer.

If it sounds like a trashbag, it’s DryCore.

I've had a Whites suit since late 2013. So far no complaints, I bought it to replace a DUI that had gone well past its usable life. It was nice to have a dry dive, and continue to have dry dives!
If DUI hadn't messed up the suit quality, and been so bad and fixing bad suits in recent history, I would have just bought a new DUI.

I do have the SITECH replaceable neck seal system, and originally it had the SITECH wrist system. I've since had the wrist system changed to the KUBI system.
The two issues with the SITECH wrist system. 1. The size of the rings 2. The length of the suit arms.
The ring size I found made handling stages more difficult. This was partially due to the fact that the suit arms where too long (the suit outer skin controls the suit size, making it quite flexible in terms of sizing). The long arms meant the wrist rings slid down my arm restricting wrist movement.
In fairness the wrist issue wasn't the fault of the suit or the SITECH system. Just a matter of fit on me.
When I had the Kubi's fitted, I also had the arms shortened.

I will say having the SITECH wrists meant I gave dry gloves a go, I borrowed a set and just plugged them in. I was so happy with dry gloves I had the Kubi's fitted.

There is another diver in my club that has a Whites, which is older than mine. They are both holding up well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom