Duck dive descent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For some reason, I've never really done it, though you'd think it would be automatic to do since I snorkeled down to 10' or so bottoms for decades prior to OW cert. (well, it's called free diving now). As well, I favour pulling myself down head first on an anchor line as fast as OK with an instabuddy. If I'm descending to a bottom of 30' on my shore dives I will go feet first--maybe because that's just the way I first was taught. I do think it helps with maintaining the direction where I want to swim (I usually take a compass reading on surface first as well, but sometimes a quick feet down drop is all I need to get going to exactly where I want to go).

Typically I do a duck dive when in 7mm because I am buoyant at the surface. Otherwise I enter feet first and try to reach a prone position early and descend that way.

With gear, a duck dive poses greater risk of hitting your head. I see that as the main drawback.

Almost every dive, though it does also depend on my buddy's style or needs.

I’ll do this to get me a couple of metres under then I’ll get into proper trim and do a gentle descent.

Dive in head first from the boat see youse all later for an hour good riddance
especially in biggish current or when using the the anchor or other down line.

By "reviewing photos" do you mean photos taken of you doing during descent?

What you described is a normal descent. Holding your BC hose up and letting the air out and dropping down feet first is weird--it's like taking an elevator to the bottom. I usually do it the weird way on dive boats but not when I'm alone.

By "reviewing photos" do you mean photos taken of you doing during descent?

What you described is a normal descent. Holding your BC hose up and letting the air out and dropping down feet first is weird--it's like taking an elevator to the bottom. I usually do it the weird way on dive boats but not when I'm alone.

I don't even do it on dive boats, as long as my buddy, assuming I have one, doesn't need me to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom