Lubricant for stainless steel bolt snaps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. I'm sorry you despise me. I've been using WD40 without any issues. Oh, and I'm sure you meant exacebate, not exasperate.

Is that anything like "exacerbate"? Enquiring Minds Want to Know. ;-) And who knows? Maybe he dislikes annoyed problems (shrug).

For what little it might be worth, I use powdered graphite for my bolt snaps, but dry silicon or teflon lubricant would be good too.

Is that anything like "exacerbate"? Enquiring Minds Want to Know. ;-) And who knows? Maybe he dislikes annoyed problems (shrug).

For what little it might be worth, I use powdered graphite for my bolt snaps, but dry silicon or teflon lubricant would be good too.

Damn autocorrect on my phone. I work in construction and people will spray wd40 in padlocks. It is very annoying as the sand / grit just sticks in them even worse.

Ha. My spelling sucks.

Coconut oil...gives it a nice tropical scent too.

Interesting!

(Careful with it around any latex... some bcd parts, drysuit seals, and occasionally mask skirts.)

I use it on my hair and it's broken down a mask skirt. Forehead only.

Cameron

What is generally used for lubrication of stainless steel bolt snaps?
Lots of great replies above, but not much data given.

My SMB has an SS bolt snap that is 5yrs old. It sticks a little when I push it open.
I use Boeshield T-9 waterproof protectant developed by the Boeing Aircraft company and it leaves a strong film. Expensive at $13 for small 4oz spray can.

I spray Boeshield on both my SS and Brass clips and like others it makes them slide effortlessly immediately.
You can get it at West Marine or Amazon. Where this product excels is in how long it lasts.

Here's how long it lasts for me before it wears off and needs another treatment:
4 months diving an average of 12 trips during that time frame.
3 drops each trip and deploying my SMB each time for an average total of 36 SS clip openings
Then the clip starts to get a touch sticky opening. Not anywhere near frozen, but you can feel it stick when pushing it down.

Spray the T-9 but it needs a full 3 days to dry and harden the film to make it last the longest.
So if you are just going on an annual vacation, use WD-40. If you are a weekly diver in harsh saltwater then pay the money and use Boeshield.
Your mileage may vary, but you know you get what you pay for.

How would you apply it to a bolt snap?
Put a dab around the sliding part where it enters the main part, work the sliding part in and out a couple of times, repeat. Wipe off excess.

Or buy a higher quality boltsnap. I've only had issues with the cheaper ones I've bought.

Coconut oil...gives it a nice tropical scent too.
Don't. Animal and vegetable fats form acids over time. You really want hydrocarbon or silicone grease on steel.

Damn autocorrect on my phone. I work in construction and people will spray wd40 in padlocks. It is very annoying as the sand / grit just sticks in them even worse.
Proper oils, or grease, are even worse unless you can wipe off any excess. Whether it's grease or oil, all you want is a thin, thin layer. Just as it is with camera housing o-rings: after lubricating them, wipe them down so you only have slight sheen left. Since it's pretty darned difficult to wipe down the insides of a lock, you really want a non-sticky lubricant like graphite there. Outer surfaces aren't that much affected as long as you wipe off any excess.

And BTW, it's "autocorrupt", not "autocorrect".

I'm just joining the "bolt snap crowd" and I'm wondering...
How many of you use the nice stainless ones and how many of you just use the ones you can find at the hardware store for short money. I understand that if they have steel springs that could rust then that would be a problem, but if you rinse, dry, and lube your gear maybe they would be OK.
Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom