First time diving Indonesia Feb/Mar - Bali or Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed theat many boats drop off divers at sites that are not optimal for the dive. Missing the split point, at the wrong corner given the tide, or perhaps just protecting the divers from currents.
That's as much valid for anywhere in Indonesia, not specific to South Komodo. :wink:

One other comment (not to be a naysayer) - I noticed theat many boats drop off divers at sites that are not optimal for the dive. Missing the split point, at the wrong corner given the tide, or perhaps just protecting the divers from currents.

This is especially so with many of the high end boats. They protect divers from the currents due to their client profiles, which often means you miss the best of the marine life.

Due to the weather, many cruise directors decide to forgo a trip to the south. One other important factor is the expense. The fuel costs greatly factor into the decision for the two day excursion at Manta Alley and Cannibal Rock. My personal feeling is the cruise directors use the weather as an excuse in order to mitigate fuel costs. /QUOTE]

It's the classic gambit! The weather isn't good enough to go south.
When I was on my last budget LOB I was very inquisitive with the CD the day before we were due to head south as she was mumbling a bit about we may not go. I watched the weather when we were in the Padar area, and kept reminding her that the wind was low and the seas were pretty calm and the forecast was looking good. Without my prodding we were probably going to get the weather excuse.

When I was initially booking my first trip with Scuba Junkies I had inquired about trips to the deep south and they had replied that it was conditional on weather, when the weather was good I lobbied them and rallied other divers to inquire and we did make a day trip to Rinca.

i think that the fuel saving is a factor for all LoB’s, not only budget operations. The cruise director has pressure from the owner to save on fuel costs, the divers are not well-informed on water/weather conditions, and nor do they have a good sense of the best dive sites with respect to the tides. @acidrush has a point, depending on our divers experience, ability, and objectives, we occasionally avoid strong currents.

This is especially so with many of the high end boats. They protect divers from the currents due to their client profiles, which often means you miss the best of the marine life.

I would like to chip in and, although I can't speak for all LOBs, I can say that most of the divers on the Adelaar (8 guests per trip) are experienced divers who expect the best. The captain is the only one who can make the call not to go to South Komodo if he has concerns regarding the weather, most often in the summer months. Regarding currents, we cater firstly to safety and then to the wishes of our guests. With several tenders, there is also more flexibility for each dive group. The goal is to have satisfied guests at the end of the trip, not to save fuel or make our lives easier! :)

No current = No action
Who want to dive The Shot Gun on slack tide?
I had dived Castle Rock, Crystal Rock and Batu Bolong on slack tide and was bored!

I had dived Castle Rock, Crystal Rock and Batu Bolong on slack tide and was bored!
The rule is that there is no rule : I have dived Crystal rock on raging current and we couldn't do anything, even the fish were concealed behind rocks, no schools at all , i have dived Crystal rock on slack tide and that was crazy, one of the best dives ever, tons of fish everywhere, 3 mantas circling over us.
Same goes for Batu Bolong, if you don't wait slack tide you can't go around it, pass through the crack or ... good luck.

The rule is that there is no rule : I have dived Crystal rock on raging current and we couldn't do anything, even the fish were concealed behind rocks, no schools at all , i have dived Crystal rock on slack tide and that was crazy, one of the best dives ever, tons of fish everywhere, 3 mantas circling over us.
Same goes for Batu Bolong, if you don't wait slack tide you can't go around it, pass through the crack or ... good luck.
I would rather dive with current than no current at all and this apply to anywhere.
Slack tide at Blue Corner in Palau, might as well stay in bed.

I would rather dive with current than no current at all and this apply to anywhere.
Slack tide at Blue Corner in Palau, might as well stay in bed.
is this the Palau board? So coming back to Komodo : try diving the crack on Batu Bolong with the wrong split and come back (if you can) to write down your feelings.
Some dives are better with current, some dives without current are radically dfferent and very worthwhile.

is this the Palau board? So coming back to Komodo : try diving the crack on Batu Bolong with the wrong split and come back (if you can) to write down your feelings.
Some dives are better with current, some dives without current are radically dfferent and very worthwhile.
In a guided dive I have yet to come across any diving condition that I could not handle.
Enjoy your Shot Gun dive with no current in Komodo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom