Wreck Diving Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will answer because if a wreck included things like this, I would consider it. Wreck to me means 'penetration', which then makes me think 'cave'. So would it include running lines? Overhead enviro preperations/precautions? I guess buoyancy should be dialed in beforehand for silt prevention. What else?

Wreck diving has similarities to cave diving. Everything you said is correct right. Running lines, buoyancy, overhead. You learn about certain types of wrecks and specific hazards. For example, lead paint can be absorbed through the skin so that's a Harvard unique to wreck diving. You learn about the laws of wreck diving. Some wrecks are historical or grave sites and are illegal to dive on. Before you take your wreck diver course I suggest get comfortable with your reel and really practice overhead eviroments. Water is heavier than fuel so if there was fuel on board the wreck if it leaked out it could be on the ceiling and bouncing into that would create a nasty problem. However I have never encountered these issues on my wreck dives. Night diving skills are something that would come in handy. Some wrecks will be quite dark inside. Especially if they are deep as well. Currents are also something to be aware of. You could easily get sucked into a door or port hole if the current is strong enough and flowing the right direction. Timing and preplanning are crucial. If it's a large wreck you might not be able to exit at any given time. So plan your air consumption and down time well and always keep the idea of things going wrong in the back of your mind and be prepared for all possibilities. Wreck diving is fun and is safe if you prepare and take it a little more seriously than a regular open water dive.

Hi @kennyfk2 - I am an instructor who teaches wreck diving, and if you don't mind, I have a consumer survey question for you:
1. Why do you want to take a 'wreck diving course?'
2. What do you expect to get out of it?
3. What do you expect to be able to do after that you can't do now?

The answers may seem obvious, but they may not be as obvious as you think.

Thanks

1) I think wrecks are interesting - not entirely sure why but being able to see the insides of them just sounds fun
2) I want to learn the basics of line running and penetration. I eventually want to do caverns and maybe cave
3) I know the general concept of why lines are run and how, but I've never done it.

Back
Top Bottom