Gear rental Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bananas75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi

I'm going to be sailing down to the Sea of Cortez next month and plan to do a fair number of dives. I have tanks and a compressor on board and two sets of gear but will be joined by a number of friends who don't have any gear at all. So I'm wondering if its possible to rent a full set of equipment from any of the shops in La Paz/Cabo/San Carlos for up to a week, or will they only rent gear if you take a dive package with them?

Does anyone have any experience?

Hi

I'm going to be sailing down to the Sea of Cortez next month and plan to do a fair number of dives. I have tanks and a compressor on board and two sets of gear but will be joined by a number of friends who don't have any gear at all. So I'm wondering if its possible to rent a full set of equipment from any of the shops in La Paz/Cabo/San Carlos for up to a week, or will they only rent gear if you take a dive package with them?

Does anyone have any experience?

Here is some outdated and vague info:

My buddy rented full gear for 9 days of diving off his own boat down there maybe 6 years ago. Money talks.

You won't have any problems in San Carlos except transport. Dock at Marina Terra and walk out front and catch a cab to Gary's or El Mar. We rent tanks form them regularly and take them onto a private charter, We all have our own gear but they must have rentals .

I know we've rented from El Mar and I'm pretty sure Gary's also. Some of the other operations are boat based in the marina so likely don't have any gear to rent.El Mar is in AZ but they have a sister shop in San Carlos. I'm sure it's on their website.They also keep a nice dive boat there - Gary's has several.

El Mar Diving Center
Gary's Dive Shop - Scuba Diving, Sea of Cortez, San Carlos, Mexico

Everybody goes to the island - San Pedro Nolassco. On the (west?) side is the sea lion colony - they;re so used to divers they'll be falling off the rocks as you moor. And be waiting for you.

There's also some old wreck out there but IDK where it is and it's supposed to be pretty beat up. I've heard of shore diving off San Carlos also but IDK where.

Way off the south side it gets deeper. I'm not good with distances on the water but the island was pretty tiny from there. There's a canyon there that brings n big stuff.

On the off-chance that you're going next month - the scalloped (smaller) hammerheads school there over a couple days b4 heading south - often the 2nd/3rd week of October. You have to sneak up on them - ask at the shops they'll know when. Not sure if they'll share gps numbers though. They're pretty skittish. It's a guessing game - we missed it by a week once. All gone and my buddy had seen hundreds the week before.The regular dive trips don't go there as it's kind of rough for their newer divers.

It will also be warm in Oct. I dove in a t-shirt about Oct 20th. Below the thermocline at about 60' was too cold to stay down long though.

Also as you traverse between the island and San Carlos watch for the dolphins in the late afternoon

Marina Terra doesn't have a great restaurant though - they cater to bus tours. So it can be you and 100 seniors for early dinner.

I don't remember the name but off about 2 blocks to the left of the marina there's a small plaza with a mexican food place - good food and outdoor patio. Also the restaurant to the south of Marina Terra was a diver's hangout - it may have closed.

San Carlos is an ex-pat retirement spot that has about 5 dive operators since divers from Phoenix and Tucson drive down weekends.

If you haven't seen it - San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

I think aztinman here has been there recently - more recent than me .

Fantastic, thanks for the responses. Im not going to make it over to San Carlos until early December so guess Ill miss the Hammers, but intending to head out to Socorro in February which should be entertaining

Back
Top Bottom