Nikon D850

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were questions about what housing to buy and I feel like I am missing something, from the responses that were given.

Am I correct in thinking that different brands of housing do not allow use of lens ports from other brands?

So, if you're buying a housing, don't you need to make sure that that brand of housing has ports and ring gears to work with the lenses you want to use? I.e. once you have decided on a camera, rather than focus (ha ha) on what housing to buy, shouldn't you choose what lens(es) you want to shoot, then figure out what housing manufacturers have the ports, etc., that you need for that lens (or lenses)? THEN decide which housing to buy?

Or is it safe to assume that any lens and housing combo that you choose will be able to be made to work?

Well, mostly you’re right about the different manufacturers requiring use of their gears, port extensions and ports on their housings, but there are some independent port manufacturers that manufacture specific ports for specific housing manufacturers. Zen for example makes ports for several different housings.

Housing manufacturers use different port extension and port lock systems on their housings. A port for a Nauticam housing won’t work on an Aquatica. Manufacturers produce lists of commonly used lenses and which gears, port extensions and ports are needed for use with their housings.

Another thing you have to factor in is that not all camera lenses will get you decent underwater photographs.

Fun stuff... and it’s expensive!

-AZTinman

That's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure.

I shoot an Olympus m43 now, in a Meikon housing. So, the camera is an ILC, but the housing only works with the kit lens. The port on the housing is not removeable. I have been looking at upgrading myself, so I wanted to make sure my understanding of housings with changeable ports was correct.

Meikon/Seafrogs is now making housings with changeable ports for some cameras. Mainly, the Sony A6xxx line, I think. I wish they would come out with similar for some high end cameras. Put some price pressure on the guys charging $3k - 4k for a housing (with no ports).

I wish they would come out with similar for some high end cameras. Put some price pressure on the guys charging $3k - 4k for a housing (with no ports).

They have indicated that they're working on a housing for Sony A7 III series. They also have an interchangeable port housing for E-M5 II, but it doesn't have a zoom gear.

Hello everyone,
I had the D850 and consider the Nimar pro housing, any commends about Nimar? Is it good? Its price is good and on their web looks promising.
The fact that I am i Europe makes it attractive toy me due to import taxes.

Any other advice is welcomed.

I'll be taking my D850 and Nauticam housing to Sipadan fairly soon, so it'll get a good mix of macro and wide angle.

I was tempted to try the WACP, but the 4k price tag made me decide not to for this trip since it'll be mostly macro aside from a few dives at Sipadan island. I hope we get there twice in this trip (7 dive days), but not likely.

I'll be taking my D850 and Nauticam housing to Sipadan fairly soon, so it'll get a good mix of macro and wide angle.

I was tempted to try the WACP, but the 4k price tag made me decide not to for this trip since it'll be mostly macro aside from a few dives at Sipadan island. I hope we get there twice in this trip (7 dive days), but not likely.
Just upgraded to D850 and I am nothing but pleased with both the camera and the Nauticam housing.

Over the past couple of years, I've helped several underwater photographers get started with Nikon D850 cameras and put together underwater housing systems. One of these photographers chose an Aquatica housing. The others opted for Nauticam.

Personally, I was looking at pulling the trigger on buying an Isotta housing system for my D850, but a deal on a used Nauticam NA-D850 with a 45 degree viewfinder fell into my lap. The price made it a deal that was too good to pass-up.

The individual I bought the housing and finder from was selling to raise funds he needed to house his new Nikon mirrorless camera. I was happy to help him out! (LOL)

-AZTinman

Best dslr on the market for underwater. I love mine way faster and better focusing then my z7!!

Fair.

I think the Sony a7rIV is a better camera for underwater, but it's not a DSLR, so your statement stands. :)

Back
Top Bottom