CGI C-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWMurf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Can anyone quote CGI C-6 referencing the requirement for visual inspections. I believe annual is a self-imposed industry standard but I want to know exactly what the legal requirement says and I don't want to pay $150 just for that small piece of the publication to simply satisfy my curiosity. Thanks in advance.

Annual Visual inspections are a dive industry standard and not codified in law.

Legally they must be visually inspected in conjunction with the 5 year requalification (Hydro test)

The legal requirement for visual inspections found in 49 CFR 180.205:

(f)Visual inspection. Except as otherwise provided in this subpart, each time a cylinder is pressure tested, it must be given an internal and external visual inspection.

(1) The visual inspection must be performed in accordance with the following CGA Pamphlets: C-6 for steel and nickel cylinders (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter); C-6.1 for seamless aluminum cylinders (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter); C-6.2 for fiber reinforced composite special permit cylinders (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter); C-6.3 for low pressure aluminum cylinders (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter); C-8 for DOT 3HT cylinders (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter); and C-13 for DOT 8 series cylinders (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter).

Thank you for the info. Do I correctly read that to mean that the interval of visual inspection is dictated by 49 CFR 180.2058:(f) and the CGA only dictates the specifics of the visual inspection itself?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom