Camera suggestion needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife uses a Gopro on a polar pro and she normally only uses the polar pro at night but she's not a photographer. It seems to take good video never tried it for stills.

Paralenz size and shape amazing, can attach to mask! If only it'd been around$300 ~I'd have bit...

Paralenz, IMHO, is a very niche device, particularly when mask-mounted. It doesn't have a screen, so framing your shots is 100% guesswork. Mounted on a mask, it sits right in the way of your exhalation bubble stream (unless you're diving CCR or double hose) and it's much harder to get it into a proper position for a well-composed shot. The depth-compensating white balance feature receives very... mixed reviews. I believe it can be a very useful tool for, say, an instructor to record a session then review the footage with their students in order to work on mistakes, but not for artistic photography/videography. Sort of like a dashcam for diving.

Wonder how the smaller SeaLife ReefMaster RM-4K compares to SeaLife Micro 2.0....

Also when these new camera talk about wifi transfer, Is it bluetooth technology or do the phone , laptop, and camera need connection with same wifi(internet)?!

Also when these new camera talk about wifi transfer, Is it bluetooth technology or do the phone , laptop, and camera need connection with same wifi(internet)?!

According to the user manual, when you enable WiFi on the Micro 2.0, it broadcasts its own SSID. In order to transfer pictures over WiFi, you connect your phone or tablet to the camera's hotspot, then run SeaLife's app, which will connect to the camera and retrieve the photos. You do not need an additional access point to facilitate the transfer. For transferring photos to a laptop (or, for that matter, a desktop) you would use a USB cable.

According to the user manual, when you enable WiFi on the Micro 2.0, it broadcasts its own SSID. In order to transfer pictures over WiFi, you connect your phone or tablet to the camera's hotspot, then run SeaLife's app, which will connect to the camera and retrieve the photos. You do not need an additional access point to facilitate the transfer. For transferring photos to a laptop (or, for that matter, a desktop) you would use a USB cable.

Wow! Wonder how videos transfer wirelessly over that camera wifi.... say eg a 30min 4k video.

Amazing how we're all moving from local storage to cloud these days!

Amazing how we're all moving from local storage to cloud these days!
I guess that depends on what you're storing and how fast your internet connection is. I rarely put anything on the cloud because my internet at home is only 175Megabit and that's just too painful to move 4k (or even 1080p) for the most part. For example, if I were to upload a full 128GB card from my gopro (I think it's around 2 hours of video?) it would take a little over 2 hours... and that's assuming nothing else in my house is using bandwidth.

Plus cloud storage is kind of expensive if you need much space. You've got to start paying for Onedrive to get more than 5GB. Google charges after 15GB, Box.com after 10GB and dropbox only gives you 2GB. When a single 4k video takes 128GB it adds up quick.

Personally, I just put a couple "old style" spinning hard drives into an enclosure and plug that into my router. Hard drives cost about $22 for a Terabyte these days (4TB drives for $90 on Amazon x2 for raid1 redundancy). 4TB goes a long way, and it's way way faster than cloud storage. I tend to upgrade my drives about every 5 years so that runs me $18/year for 4TB plus maybe $1-$2 for electricity.

Back
Top Bottom