Minimal Possibly DIR-like Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most BPs are roughly a 'one size fits all' 'standard' size. There are longer ones for taller folk and smaller ones for shorter folk. There is some variety among the 'standard' sizes plates, like overall shape, depth of channel, angle of bends, number of mounting holes, number of slots, etc. I have plates from 5 different manufacturers and functionally I honestly can't tell any difference between them when in use other than needing more or less weighting due to the type of material it's made from.

Return policies for both shops I mentioned are excellent and so is their support. With some googling you’ll find proper fitting info. Even with that it takes a few dives to sort and a few questions on scubaboard.

OK, thanks for the information and the clarification on removing a BPwWs. So assuming I'm fine with the crotch strap now, any recommendations on rigs that are not overkill for my purposes? I don't believe I will ever be using doubles. Thanks.
My first BPW which I still use, was a Dive Rite SS and Voyager Exp wing. I am still using the wing but have that on a halcyon cinch harness for my single wing diving and my dive rite harness and plate for my doubles. Has served me well for 8 years now.

I recently purchased the DGX bp/w package as my first backplate setup and I could not be happier with it (DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package). 25 lb wing, steel or aluminum backplate (I got steel). For $299 you would be hard pressed to find a more affordable setup.

It seems that there are very few videos on how to setup the backplate, which I was somewhat frustrated with at first. But I will say that once you get everything in your hands, the whole setup is very intuitive and easy to understand. It does take a bit of trial and error to adjust the plate properly, but it's worth it in the end.

It seems that there are very few videos on how to setup the backplate, which I was somewhat frustrated with at first. But I will say that once you get everything in your hands, the whole setup is very intuitive and easy to understand. It does take a bit of trial and error to adjust the plate properly, but it's worth it in the end.

Were you searching specifically for setting up the DGX backplate or a bp/w harness in general? There are plenty of youtube videos out there for setting up a generic bp/w harness.

After doing a little research, I'm leaning towards one of the options below. Any strong opinions? I'll ask Tech & Solo folks next, but figured there may be a few of them lingering here.

DiveRite TransPac
DGX Custom OMS IQ
Halcyon Infinity

Note: I have plenty of time to go deeper (like that?) into each brand as I don't plan to buy anything before 2019.

After doing a little research, I'm leaning towards one of the options below. Any strong opinions? I'll ask Tech & Solo folks next, but figured there may be a few of them lingering here.

DiveRite TransPac
DGX Custom OMS IQ
Halcyon Infinity

Note: I have plenty of time to go deeper (like that?) into each brand as I don't plan to buy anything before 2019.

What is it about these systems that are pulling you towards them? They all seem to be of the soft harness/no backplate variety. Is this because your gut reaction is that they'll be more comfortable? Is this because you planning on only traveling and want to be able to shove them into tight places?

If you want DIR than the transpac and DGX OMS are out of the question. If you have an LDS I would try to support them but the DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package is the cheapest/best option if you want to get into DIR and aren't sure. Halcyon is good if you want to drop the coin. I use the DGX wing on a dive rite backplate and love it. You don;t need any fancy padding or any extra failure points like in most tec style BCDs. Good luck to you.

What is it about these systems that are pulling you towards them? They all seem to be of the soft harness/no backplate variety. Is this because your gut reaction is that they'll be more comfortable? Is this because you planning on only traveling and want to be able to shove them into tight places?

Showing my naivete here.

The minimalist setup is appealing to me. I assumed I could get a hard backplate on any of these and all else about the rig would be fixed / equal.

Yes, I assumed a soft harness would be more comfortable, but I actually didn't realize that none of these have a hard backplate option. I assume these companies do offer solid backplate options somewhere in their product line?

If you want DIR than the transpac and DGX OMS are out of the question. If you have an LDS I would try to support them but the DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package is the cheapest/best option if you want to get into DIR and aren't sure. Halcyon is good if you want to drop the coin. I use the DGX wing on a dive rite backplate and love it. You don;t need any fancy padding or any extra failure points like in most tec style BCDs. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the response. I don't require a fully DIR rig, so that's fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom